Property Q&A in Millburn>Question Details

MM, Other/Just Looking in Chatham, NJ

How to deal with lawyer seller?

Asked by MM, Chatham, NJ Fri Jan 13, 2012

I recently tried to purchase a home and the deal fell through because the house had too many inspection issues and as per contract and advise from my attorneys we cancelled contract as per my rights.

The seller is mad and has been bothering us using the unfair advantage that he happens to be a lawyer and a partner in a law firm. He is waging a legal battle against me draining me of legal fees. My litigation attorneys advise me that we will prevail but unfortunately after very significant legal fee which keeps growing. The seller is not facing the legal cost pain as he is using his own legal firm to litigate.

My question is this:
What other legal means I have to level the playing field and make this seller see reason and drop this case, go fix his house and sell to a new buyer.Do I have the right to share my story in local publications, blogs. If I can do this and bring the story in front of potential buyers then I hope the seller will see reason and resist from misusing legal proces

I have a seller client that flat out refused to even counter an offer from a buyer. The buyer was a lawyer. I asked him why.... he said he will never sell or buy anything from a lawyer. He says it is not worth the headache.

I am sorry for you problems, but cannot give legal advice.

All the Best, Dan

Unfortunately we cannot give you legal advice and anything that I say here is not intended to be legal advice. All questions and concerns should be addressed with your attorney.

With that being said, if you cancelled the contract per the rights of your contract, then he should not win in Court. If he filed a frivolous lawsuit then maybe your attorney can sue for damages, attorneys fees, etc. My honest opinion is and although I understand your need to share your story, I think any blogs that you type will only enrage him further. Any speaking that you do should be through your attorney - even in the media. You should not speak directly to the news publicists because unfortunately you can be incidentally misquoted and that can just create more problems with the lawsuit you are defending.

Good luck to you and I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances,

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Lattimer Realty
All this is something to ask your attorneys.
HOWEVER are your attorneys asking the seller to cover your legal fees if you prevail ESPECIALLY if you feel he is not incurring costs to represent himself.