Property Q&A in Arlington>Question Details

Fd, Other/Just Looking in Arlington, VA

How much will a 300 sq ft deck add to the value of my home?

Asked by Fd, Arlington, VA Mon May 28, 2012

Answers

3
It is hard to put $$$ amount on value of the deck without knowing the location and condition of your home.
Is your home new, fixer upper, or older home that buyer might consider purchasing only for the lot to build a new home on?
How big is the lot?
Does the backyard offer privacy?
Do neighboring homes have decks or patios?

You might want to contact a few deck construction companies for ideas and suggestions.

Do your research and if you feel YOU will enjoy YOUR HOME with the deck more, than build it. The chances are, the future buyer will appreciate the deck, as well :-)

Good Luck
The value of deck is not determined by the size of the deck but by the nature of market as of the time of valuation. If anybody tells you that adding deck will add certain amount to you house, I will assure you that you are being deceived. Deck will certainly make your house more desirable in the market place. In real estate, desirability does not always translate to value. Value of any component is determined by market forces which are dependent of real estate market condition at the time of valuation. If you desire deck, I will advise you to go ahead and add deck to your house for your enjoyment, let value be secondary consideration. Good luck.
The best place to find the answer is checking the Remodeling Cost vs Value Report.
http://www.remodeling.hw.net/remodeling-market-data/about-th…