Property Q&A in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Mrs. G, Home Owner in Pittsburgh, PA

How much does it cost to build a 2 car detached garage completely insulated & drywalled with cement board siding in Squirrel Hill area of?

Asked by Mrs. G, Pittsburgh, PA Sat Apr 2, 2011

Pittsburgh, Any estimates of a per sq ft figure? Or if I have to guess I would say aroung 550 sq foot

I found very complete information about the cost of building a garage here,…
Depending on the quality / details / material you want. Its around $35 per sq ft up to $55 per sq ft for higher quality.
Find a quick cost overview here.

You would be looking in the neighborhood of $18K-$24K depending on site conditions. I would be glad to come look at it and give you an estimate at no cost to you. We are licensed and insured.

Mrs. G
From working with home builders I have picked up a few things. One, you need to do a complete bid to know for sure what the cost will be. The codes in the City are stricter so make sure you have the needed space, follow all zoning requirements and obtain the necessary permits. Two, as a quick reference a rule of thumb I use is $10,000.00 a bay is a good guesstimate (a two car garage would then be around $20,000.00). However it can be much less or much more depending upon the materials used (vinyl is a lot cheaper then brick and you stated you want to use cement board which is a little less then brick, the type of roof, etc.). Insulation and drywall will also add to the cost so I would think you would be somewhere between $30,000.00 to $40,000.00 or more. With insulation and drywall it sounds like you may be considering finishing the interior of the garage at a later time. If you are, again be aware of all codes relating to this.

There are also websites that can estimate the cost for you but the best thing to do is to obtain bids from three or four good contractors.