How much does a standard pool cost to install in Orange County?

Asked by OC92708, Fountain Valley, CA Mon Aug 6, 2012

I am looking for a house with a pool but because of the low inventory, I'm thinking about buying a property and putting in my own pool and spa. Nothing fancy but big enough to lounge around on the weekends with the kids. I know there are so many variables when installing a pool but I just need the average cost so I can budget accordingly on the new house we'll purchase.

Answers

6
Rshieldslaw, Home Buyer, Aliso Viejo, CA
Thu Jan 26, 2017
You can figure out very closely what a pool and spa will cost by doing a cost breakdown. Get quotes for:

Excavation,
Steel,
Rough plumbing including any gas line to heater through pressure test on all piping;
Gunite
rough electric meter to equiipment;
cost of equipment (motor, heather, filter, pool light);
Plaster
Pool start up...connect all the above and fire it up after filling with water.
Thu Jan 26, 2017
A few facts:

So what does a pool and spa cost? You can get a nice one for $30,000, anywhere with usual conditions found in OC ...somewhat limited access, and flat stable area for installation.

1. Pools are mainly for kids. Spas mainly for adults. They add to quality of life...and are not a good $$ "investment."
2. Pools do not add to value...you will be lucky to get back 75% of cost on resale, and you will be selling a "pool home" for which there a smaller group of buyers.
3. In Orange County there is a tendency to waaay overdo the pool. Put 6 kids into a plain small pool with a rubber raft and they have a blast. No kid cares much if the pool is very big or small or has a lot of fancy features.
4. Orange County homeowners tend to want to turn ordinary homes with difficult access into "mini-Taj Mahal" projects. In my opinion, they overdo it. The unnecessary bells and whistles include: raised bond beam: water effects; lighting effects, lanai, bbq,and the like. Keep it more simple,...Save the money and go to Paris.
5. Similarly, landscaping can be cheap. Small plants that are cheap grow to become big plants. It is fun seeing them grow.
There is nothing wrong with plain concrete for patios and walkways. Save the masonry pavers for widening the entry to the house. Put more money into drainage....it is critical.
Jackson Will…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Wed Feb 25, 2015
Buying a pool can be a considerable amount of money. The size of it doesn't seem like a huge issue here, but it will be harder to get a pool put in some places than others. You're best bet would be to visit some companies that do pool installations and get an idea of how much they would charge for what you want. Without you knowing exactly where it will be, you'll probably only get a range, but that's going to be the best that you'll likely be able to get.
http://www.royalpoolsandmore.com/about-us.html
Chris Arco, , Aliso Viejo, CA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Swimming pools and spas by Gunite set you back by $40-60,000 based on the amount of decking that has to be done. Swimming pools are in reality not bought by length and width, its done to correspond to the client, however by a perimeter foot with 80 being "typical".

You must also look at your electrical consumption expenses for working the pump ($5.00/ per day) based on the city you live and what you pay for power in Watts it can be saved by requesting pentair's variable velocity pumps.

They begin at 4 speeds completely adjustable by the homeowner to do solely the job wanted and make a giant change in your electrical costs by about 30%.
I was wondering how much this would cost. Thanks for giving this rough estimate. That sounds about right to me. I think that pools can be quite the investment, but they can add a lot of value and become a great asset to your home. http://www.outdoorlivingllc.com/pool-design-construction/
Flag Wed Oct 29, 2014
Nick Singh, Agent, Aliso Viejo, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012

A basic pool may cost 40K and a more exotic one with elobarate hardscape
and say lush tropical softscape can be twice as much. If you are fortunate to find a resale with a pool it's obviously the better way to go since you will be paying a fraction of the cost.

Please let me know if you need help to find a resale with a pool or would like to consult with a pool expert.
Michael Emer…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
No such thing as a standard pool. Depends on so many factors. from experience I had a $60,000 pool quote for a curved 25' lap pool, fire pit, jacuzzi and other hardscape. That was a good price. Expect up to $100,000....then get lots of quotes. I welcome an opportunity to show and compare some homes. And get scream pool pro involved based in a home you like.