A few facts:
So what does a pool and spa cost? You can get a nice one for $30,000, anywhere with usual conditions found in OC ...somewhat limited access, and flat stable area for installation.
1. Pools are mainly for kids. Spas mainly for adults. They add to quality of life...and are not a good $$ "investment."
2. Pools do not add to value...you will be lucky to get back 75% of cost on resale, and you will be selling a "pool home" for which there a smaller group of buyers.
3. In Orange County there is a tendency to waaay overdo the pool. Put 6 kids into a plain small pool with a rubber raft and they have a blast. No kid cares much if the pool is very big or small or has a lot of fancy features.
4. Orange County homeowners tend to want to turn ordinary homes with difficult access into "mini-Taj Mahal" projects. In my opinion, they overdo it. The unnecessary bells and whistles include: raised bond beam: water effects; lighting effects, lanai, bbq,and the like. Keep it more simple,...Save the money and go to Paris.
5. Similarly, landscaping can be cheap. Small plants that are cheap grow to become big plants. It is fun seeing them grow.
There is nothing wrong with plain concrete for patios and walkways. Save the masonry pavers for widening the entry to the house. Put more money into drainage....it is critical.