How many times can a house be up for auction? There is a house that has auction after auction postponed since April 2009?

Asked by Nalatia Grenovich, 90021 Wed Nov 10, 2010

Could the owners still be paying a mortgage? How long can this go on until the house becomes bank owned and the owners have to leave? It is rather unfair to the rest of us hard working mortgage paying individuals if they are living in their house for free all of these months.

Answers

6
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed Nov 10, 2010
There are many things that affect whether or not a house auction is postponed. Maybe is not even an auction from the bank... there are many auction houses that sale homes at auction for people who have no problem with their mortgage. The short answer is, it can be postponed and delayed even cancelled as many times as they want.

As for what is fair in life... there are many things that are unfair... like people with money to spend on their dog's manicure in Beverly Hills and kids that orphan and confronting hunger and hurricanes in refugee camps in Haiti for no fault of their own. Fairness is an elusive concept that is difficult to grasp for me. I just work as hard as I can and try to do what is honorable and enjoy my life without worrying too much about how easy other people appear to have it... since I am not privy to their details and probably do not want to be.

Best of luck!
Web Reference:  http://shortsalecentral.org
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Nov 10, 2010
It's highly likely that the owners did not make any payments at all for maybe 6mos or more, then they've probably been going round & round with the bank tryyyying to get a loan modification while the bank has had them on some sort of "trial loan mod". If you can shoot me an email with the address, I can look it up for you to see if they've re-defaulted and are likely to go to sale, whether it's a short sale or looks like they're heading towards another auction date.

The bank isn't going to keep postponing forever, if they default on a trial loan mod, they're basically screwed & any further loan mod is going to be a Huge risk for another re-default.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Short Sale D…, , Los Angeles County, CA
Wed Nov 10, 2010
What's the address? I can find out what stage of foreclosure its in. You can email it to me at TheShortSaleDiva@yahoo.com or call me at 562-916-3237. 90021 is part of my sales territory.
Web Reference:  http://www.shortsalediva.org
Shel-lee Dav…, Agent, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Nalatia:

In California, before a home can go to foreclosure sale (aka Trustee Sale, Auction, Foreclosure Auction) the bank must first must attempt to contact the home owner and work things out (30 days), then file a Notice of Default (90 days), then file a Notice of Trustee Sale (and publish it for at least 3 weeks). Once they have done all this, they are in a position to sell the home at the auction.

If the bank cancels the foreclosure sale, they must start back at square one. Instead of canceling the foreclosure sale, the bank postpones it. Why would they postpone? A few reasons are (1) the homeowner (HO) file bankruptcy; (2) the HO is working on a loan modification; (3) the HO is in a forebearance agreement; (4) the HO is negotiating a short sale.

Usually, when you see a property that has had its auction postponed over a year, the HO has filed for bankruptcy and is working through their re-organization plan. If the HO defaults on that plan (or any of the direct bank negotiationed workouts noted above), the bank can immediately schedule the auction, without having to go through the 5 month process of re-filing for foreclosure. This cuts their losses. If you want to the know the specific status of the home you are referencing, send me the address and I will get back to you. Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
Sara Mehrpou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Nov 10, 2010
There can be various reasons that the auction has been postponed or cancelled and then it will come back up again after a while. The homeowner may be attempting a loan modification or short sale with the lender. Or, the homeowner may have an attorney involved and have some sort of case against the lender. Some people are desperately trying to hold onto their home because it might be the only thing they have while there are others that are trying to prolong the inevitable.

Sara Mehrpouyan, CDPE
Specializing in Foreclosure & Short Sale
Rodeo Realty
Dre#01712757
818-903-2040
http://www.DistressedHomeOptions.com
Dave Griswol…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Hi Nalatia, A property can be up for auction as many times as they want it to be. We have a property here that is up for auction every month and has been for over 2 yrs. the owners are on a payment plan, if they miss a payment the home goes for auction for real ..so far like we said it's been over 2 yrs and their still hangin on

All the Best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference:  http://www.urhomerealty.net