How do I get out of a co ownership mortgage?

Asked by Bob, Kenosha, WI Wed Jan 13, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend own a house in Kenosha, WI. We are now seperating and I need to knwo what to do to get out of the mortgage as she wants to keep the house and making payments for it and I am moving out. What do I do to get my name off the mortgage and get it all signed over under her name?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Diana Dahlbe…, Agent, Pleasant Prairie, WI
Wed Jan 13, 2010
First off I am sorry that things are not working out for you. Your girlfriend is going to have to re-finance the loan into her own name and when she does that, your name will no longer be attached to the mortgage. However, the other issue is with the Deed and Title. To have your name removed from that a New Deed will have to be signed at the closing of your girlfriends' new loan. She needs to inform her lender that she wants your name removed from the Deed and Title and the Lender will handle the Deed Preparation for her new loan and at that time your name will no longer be associated with the mortgage or home ownership. You might want to make contact with a Title Company to verify this information (talk with Knight Barry Title in Kenosha 262-657-2599) as welll as a Lender. If your girlfriend wants to stay with the same mortgage lender that's fine. If she wants to move on to another Lender let me know and I'd be happy to recommend a few great Lenders in Kenosha that would be happy to assist her. Best wishes to you.
1 vote
Eric D Lenz, Agent, Greendale, WI
Wed Jan 13, 2010
You are doing two things: 1. removing you from the mortgage obligation and 2. conveying your interest in the property. To remove you from the mortgage, pay it off: most likely by your girlfriend re-financing in her own name. To remove your ownership you can quitclaim your interest to your girlfriend. You are basically "selling" your interest to her. You will need the Quit Claim deed as well as the transfer form for this.
1 vote
Dwayne Carr, , Kenosha, WI
Wed Jan 13, 2010
You can file for a Quit Clam Deed, to get your name off the Title and Deed. You will contact Kenosha County Assessment office for more details, Here is the link to their site If you have an attorney, contact them as well, for some type of counseling on what other options you may have. For seperation and divorces can be dragged out sometimes, and scenarios can change.

Thank You Dwayne Carr!
1 vote
Mini Samuel, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Wed Jan 13, 2010
She would need to refinance and take your name off. Call your mortgage company - some companies will allow her to assume the mortgage but that may not take your name off of it. It is best to check with your mortgage company and find out your options..
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Property Q&A in Kenosha Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more