How do I correct the "Public Records" so Beds are listed as 4 instead of 1. I am New Owner.

Asked by John Framme, 93401 Tue Dec 23, 2008

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/San_Luis_Obispo/sold/…

Answers

5
John Framme, Both Buyer And Seller, 93401
Tue Dec 23, 2008
Thanks Ken, I disagree with Carmen and Gene. It's in my best interest to have accurate and complete info about my new home online. New Mellenium Buyers doing their own research and comps online, and three sites like Trulia, Zillow, NexTag use these public records to form opinion of my house value. I myself searched for new homes online and did comps myself. If I ran into bad data, I just dismissed the house.
Better house value for ME, leads to better comps for my neighbors selling their house, leading to better prices for my neighborhood, leading to better price I can sell for in few years if I decide to do so. I think SLO Country Club Estates will gain value in bad economy as buyers flee San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and rest of USA for best retirement area. I think its best area in SLO, and SLO city best in SLO County. We had great Realtor, but she has many customers, we only had one customer: US. Our 24 hours a day was invested in US, and we trusted Realtor to protect us with her knowledge in the final decision, closing process, etc.. We realized that as buyers, "having a little bit of knowledge is dangerous". LOL
Mary Pope-Ha…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Wed Mar 2, 2011
In California, your property taxes will NOT go up when you get this info corrected. Your property taxes are based on the sales price in this state (unless of course you expand your home, then it will be re-appraised).

Today I contacted the folks in the tax assessor's office regarding a correction on my own personal home (I have 4 bedrooms, but the county thought it was 3). It was very simple to correct over the phone. Some issues will be more difficult to get fixed (such as square footage) but call your county's tax assessor's office (not the title company - they have nothing to do with it). Have your APN, a pen and paper ready. You may be directed to call another number or two (or they may transfer you, but get the phone numbers in case there's a dropped call).
Carmen Badan, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Dec 23, 2008
Thank you Gene,
You hit the nail in the head. The increase in taxes will be the first significant change.
If you not in the process of selling your home, no need to bother.
It's your call John. Congratulation on you new home. It is a nice feeling, isn't it?
Ken Taylor, Agent, Arroyo Grande, CA
Tue Dec 23, 2008
Actually, the error probably lies with the San Luis Tax Assessor. Probably bad input from the title company which handled the transaction for you. I would start by calling either the your title company or the assessor's office to fix the problem
Carmen Badan, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Dec 23, 2008
What would you benefit from making the changes?