How do I add spouse to old deed?

Asked by Ann Madara, New Jersey Wed Jul 11, 2012

House is paid for, want both our names on all of our owned property

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Larry Sarlo, Agent, North Wildwood, NJ
Wed Jul 11, 2012
You cannot ask the county to do anything without adding it to a deed. You will have to bring the deed (quit claim deed complete) with you and register it yourtself wihtout cost except for recording costs approx $25
The only way to do it is quit claim deed which you can prepare yourself. or have an attorney do it for you for a cost approx $100
But to go add a name by just going to the county office will not do it.

Not sure why you wont do a quit claim deed.. It's shows ownership only.

Reality if it is your main home it is Joint tenants anyway by NJ law. even without the spouse name on deed.

information here is not intended to legal advice.

Search Short Sales and foeclosure Deals at

Larry Sarlo
RE/MAX Preferred
0 votes
Robert Milia…, Agent, Medford, NJ
Wed Jul 11, 2012
HI Ann,

Call any lawyer or Title company and advise them what you like to do. There will be papper work you need to show them. The process is very easy.If you need some advise on attorneys. PLease call me and I will forward you three or four names to call. Thank you
0 votes
Ann Madara, Home Owner, New Jersey
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Don't want a "quit claim". Also don't want to pay lawyer just for adding name to deed and registering, so will follow Alex's advice and go to County Clerk to get the deed registered. I imagine I need it notarized and since I have the existing deed I will just create the new one word for word myself.
0 votes
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Hi Ann, Elisa's answer is the best. Just have an attorney or title company's attorney process a quit claim deed. If you need names of either, just let us know.
0 votes
Elisa Dewees, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Wed Jul 11, 2012
SO easy! Just have an attorney prepare a "Quit Claim" Deed. You then need to have it recorded at the County Clerk. There is a small fee to have it recorded.
0 votes
Alex Kushnir, Agent, Monmouth, IL
Wed Jul 11, 2012
You can either ask a real estate attorney to do it for you or you can go to your county records office and do it yourself. I've done it in my county.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more