How can I transfer my tenant-in-common share of my home to my living trust? My wife passed recently and she left her share to her children.

Asked by Dakini1, Bellingham, WA Wed Aug 28, 2013

Answers

7
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
You still need to use an attorney to write the proper documents to make them legally binding...and make sure the proper people sign them.
We are not attorneys hence cannot give legal advice..
Dakini1, Home Owner, Bellingham, WA
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for your responses; however, my question is not about my estate plan but about the type of deed needed to transfer the share of my house into my existing living trust. My wife and I owned our home as a tenancy-in-common allowing the survivor to remain in the house for life. I would like to transfer my share into my living trust to avoid probate.

1) In Ocean County, NJ, should I use a quit-claim deed, a grantor deed, or another type of deed?

2) Can I execute this deed independently, or do I need to get my wife's executor involved?

Thanks again.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
It is unanimous - talk to an estate attorney.

My condolences....
Joseph JT Sc…, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Hi Dakini1, Here is the contact information of a great attorney who does many estates and wills. Justin Shearer Esq. located in Beachwood NJ 732-240-3729. Hope that helps.
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Dakini
There you go, MaryEllen reiterated my advise to speak to an attorney.
MaryEllen Ma…, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
You should speak with an Attorney. They will be able to give you the best advice.
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
You need to speak to an estate attorney. As Realtors we can't give legal advice and of course your attorney will need to know all specifics.