How can I get my hands on the mineral lease on a property if the owner never received a copy from the previous owner?

Asked by Maria Villenas, The Woodlands, TX Sun May 6, 2012

Mineral Lease, Mineral Rights, Mineral Rights transfer.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


David Compan…, Agent, The Woodlands, TX
Mon May 7, 2012
I would contact a local title company in the county where the property is located - preferably the company that closed the last sale transaction - and ask them for their assistance. They can probably track down a copy in a few minutes!
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun May 6, 2012
Contact the company that has the lease.
If you don't know who that is, you might be able to go to the county courthouse that has the property records and research there.
If all else fails you could hire a landman to research the title perhaps for $400 or $500
You might also ask neighbors for contact information on their leases.

Are you sure there is a lease?
Are you sure you own the mineral rights?
0 votes
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun May 6, 2012
They're usually recorded in the real property records of the county where the property is located.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more