Property Q&A in 90004>Question Details

Snowyal, Home Owner in 90004

How can I convert a "duplex" classification with the county to a "single family residence?"

Asked by Snowyal, 90004 Tue Dec 6, 2011

My property currently has a main house and a separate guesthouse and is considered a "duplex" with Los Angeles county. What are the requirements to change this to a "single family residence" and how can I go about re-registering it? This has reduced the value of the property and I would like to change it to SFR.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello Snowyal
I am also needing to change my duplex ( main and guest house) to a SFR. Did you do it and was it difficult? I actually can not refinance my home right now because the other duplexes in the area are not very nice and my SFR is uncomaparable.. therefore, without comps the bank can not approve my refi.

If you did this successfully, I'd appreciate your advice and perhaps if you could share the route you took to save me a little leg work? ( literally, I have a broken foot! )

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
Dear Snowyal,
This is a good idea and has been done in my area with good success. As with any zoning type situation, you need to go to City Hall with your documents and speak to them about making these changes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer