Houses with basements?

Asked by MidwestGuy, Las Cruces, NM Tue May 29, 2012

I am contemplating relocating from the Midwest where basements are the norm to the Las Cruces area where I haven't seen any listings with a basement.

Are there construction or building permit reasons that prevent them from being built?

Answers

3
Gary Sandler, Agent, Las Cruces, NM
Tue May 29, 2012
Hi midwest guy... My name is Gary Sandler, & I'm the president of Gary Sandler Inc., Realtors here in Las cruces. Yes, we have basements here but they're few & far between. No permit issues in the way, just economic & lifestyle differences. I'll be happy to provide additional information, just send me an email or give me a call (gary@garysandler.com or (575) 642-2292). Good. Luck to you. Gary
Voices Member, , Las Cruces, NM
Tue May 29, 2012
Dear Midwest Guy,

Here in Las Cruces we don't have issues with tornados like you do in the midwest so since it would be such an added expense you will rarely find a basement nor for that matter a tri-level house which from my memory would have a portion built in a basement type style. The only homes with basement I have seen are older verging on antique status. Most homes here are built on a concrete foundation and I would guess most builders would not really be trained to build basements. Beyond that I am unaware of any restrictions against them unless the home was in a flood prone area. You will not find very many homes with true hardwood floors either because they are harder to maintain and would not be installed on concrete. You will, however, see laminated floors because they are installed on concrete, but they don't hold up well either from my observation. Tile floors on concrete foundations are the norm.
If we can help you find your new home just give us a call at 575-526-1802 or e-mail to arrington@zianet.com.
Thank You,
Jack and Pat Arrington
Arrington's Theatre of Homes Real Estate
Suite 444 Wells Fargo Tower
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Ashley Babbey, Agent, Las Cruces, NM
Tue May 29, 2012
There really is not a need for basements in Las Cruces, we do have a new home builder who builds a few homes with basments, do to all the dirt we have here there have been a few problems that I have seen with basements. If it is important for you to have a basement I would be happy to do a search for you. If you email me at ashley@exithorizons.com I would be happy to send you some information.
Ashley Babbey