Sean, Home Buyer in Mountainside, NJ

House that backs in to US 22. There is no noise in the house. The backyard is very noisy. What kind of price cut should I expect?

Asked by Sean, Mountainside, NJ Tue Sep 13, 2011

How hard is it to resell houses along US 22 in Mountainside(facing the highway OR backyard facing highway)? In addition to the noise, should I need to worry about Expropriation.

Answers

4
Jane Shebroe, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Tue Sep 13, 2011
Not for just the noise, but I would also wonder about the safety of the air quality with all the car emissions, with a highway being so close. With noise a price cut could help compensate, but nothing can compensate you for unclean lungs.
Just my personal opinion, because I once lived on a busy street and had to clean black soot off my windows every week, which made me wonder how much of it I was breathing in.

Jane
http://www.RealTerrific.com
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Sep 14, 2011
I think appraisers say 6-10% depending upon price point. This is going to vary greatly - - there are so many factors to consider. Don't try to price it yourself - call in a realtor (or two or three!). Good Luck!
Tressa "TERI"…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Tue Sep 13, 2011
Location is still the single most important criteria in pricing a home, followed by condition and updates. Mountainside is a wonderful and much sought community. Since ur property backs up to a major highway, the market value of ur property will be less than that of similar properties in Mountainside. As a realtor experienced in listing and selling in Mountainside, i will be happy to help u determine the
Web Reference:  http://Www.ZILLOW.com
Lisette Guzm…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Tue Sep 13, 2011
Hi Sean,

Many variables go into play here-current price (is it @ market value reflecting location/noise),below market (has it had multiple offers), above market (been on the market for a long time)? Overall, Mountainside sells average 5 percent close to asking. That being said I've been involved in transactions where homes sold thousands over asking. Your agent should be able to guide you to the right range if they are familiar with the Mountainside market.

If you are NOT working with someone and need more advice, feel free to contact me 908-494-7178. I am not only a local agent but also a resident.