Property Q&A in Chicago>Question Details

Yogev, Renter in Chicago, IL

Hello! My apartment I was living in was sold in a short sale, and I am wondering if I need to return it in the condition it was recieved.

Asked by Yogev, Chicago, IL Thu May 31, 2012

Carpet cleaning, painting etc...

Answers

9
Return it in the same condition in which you received it.
Well you got a lot of answers already, but you signed a rental or lease agreement RIGHT? In it you agreed to certain terms, when the lease ends..... so pull your agreement and read the terms.....

Usually there is a walk thru at one point to determine if the property is in reasonable condition or if repairs besides normal use are necessary, that is what you are giving a security deposit in the beginning....

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Are you telling me the condition of your apartment affected the value of the sale? You should lose your security deposit and are at risk of a civil suit for the amount above and beyond the security deposit it takes to return the unit to the condition it was received. That is letting you off the hook easy. Since if you affected the sales price of the building you should be sued for the difference of what the owner lost due to the poor condition of your unit.
Why wouldn't you? You signed a lease and the same lease transfered to the new owners. I'm sure that the original lessor would have expected it returned in the same condition that it was rented in as I would guess the new lessor would expect the same. If appropriate documention exists, and the apprartment appears to be in a condition that it was not rented in - it would be within their discretion to charge from the security deposit to cover repairs. Now, I am not an attorney, nor have I read your lease, but I would be leaning very heavily on recomending returning it in the same condition. Good luc'
Web Reference: http://tomkelleychicago.com
No standard lease says you need to paint or clean the carpet. You just need to leave it in decent shape.
The condition it was in when you moved in, is the condition you give it back to with the exception of normal wear and tear.
Hi all,
Thank you for the answers. The lease is standard Chicago lease, and it does say that I need to paint and clean the carpet. However, I am wondering if this still stands since it was a short sale.
You don't have to repaint and clean the carpet. Just leave it in broom clean condition and I'm sure the new owner would appreciate that.

You are expected to leave it in broom clean condition unless it was stated differently in your lease. Painting, carpet cleaning, etc...is normally not required.

Hope this helps.