HOW CAN RENTAL OWNERS BE PROTECTED FROM BAD PROPERTY MANAGER?

Asked by Joypsalm91, California City, CA Thu Oct 20, 2011

My property manager in Las Vegas is so rude and i feel intimidated. Their contract only fully protects them and not the rental owner. When I signed the property management agreement it says that I have given them full authority to renew or cancel a lease. In addition they get upset if I request copies of the invoices for the work done to my house. They also billed my previous tenants like almost US$ 7,000 in late payments for the 3 years that she stayed. I requested for a clarification on how they came up with the amount and they will not give me a detailed explanation. I really want to get out of my contract but I am stuck for another year. Pls if anyone could guide me where to report this property management company. I am really very stressed.

Answers

7
James Bellile, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Lesson 1: It's much easier to prevent a bad deal than it is to get out of an executed bad deal. Always take more time to interview than to sign.

Lesson 2: When you do find trouble, know a good attorney. Feel free to call mine Joseph Hong 702-336-7001. He is the best I know of and I recommend him highly. He is an expert in contract law.

If you need a very good, caring, easy to work with property management company please visit my website http://www.LasVegasRealEstateConnection.com. My resume is inside the ABOUT US sublink and my brokerage has an excellent reputation.
Jimmy Balsano, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Oct 23, 2011
Hi Joypsalm91

Sorry to hear about problems with your current poroperty management,
you could report them to Greater Las Vegas Assoc of Realtors or
Nevada Real Estate Division. If you need a great Property Management Co,
contact me @ (702)281-2225 or jimbalsano@cox.net. I will put in touch
with our are Property Management Co @ Realty One.

Jimmy Balsano
Realty One Group
702-281-2225
Fax 1-866-371-8421
I KNOW LAS VEGAS AND HAVE FOR 40 YEARS

http://www.rapidsellers.com/jbalsano
Joypsalm91, Renter, California City, CA
Thu Oct 20, 2011
TO Mark, I am sorry that ou have misunderstood me. This my first time to join tonight. I did post 2 blogs as i am not sure if the first one I asked the correct questions at the same I am quite stressed and anxious to seek help. I have not done anything as I really do not know where to go. But the other agents I really appreciate the guidance I would follow the steps and it gave me some hopes.

TO SUZIE- Thanks for your encouragement. A friend recommend that I contact Att. Robert Noggle- have you heard of him. He could do phone consulation for US$200 an hour.
TO JEFFREY- Yes the company is very big and I am sure they are member of the board of realtor.
TO Randy- I cannot cancel the contract because they said that they will bill me for 3 years of management fee even if the tenant signed for 1 year lease as the tenant originally requested for 3 years lease but I only agree for 1 year. They have threated me that if I do not renew the contract I will put them in violation with the federal and state law (not sure why).
In fairness to the broker whom I talked to last week and expressed my concerns espcially requesting for the receipts of all the services that were done to my house when the previous tenant moved out, she finally sent me all the receipts yesterday but still no explanation on how they ce up with US$ 7000 approx on late payments.

TO JAMES- You are so right..I really made alot of mistakes which I am trying to rectify if I can. Yes I will also consider your recommendations.

**** i AM SO NEW TO THIS not sure if I am replying correctly as I just hit ANSWER button. Also if there are some potocols that I am not following pls let me know as I want to follow the guidelines. Thank you so much for all your guidance. BLESSINGS to all.
Mark Slomka, , Las Vegas, NV
Thu Oct 20, 2011
This is not your first post about the same topic. I'm beginning to feel you enjoy the blogs and attention. No agent should take a one sided story, you obviously were guided to the division in the other blogs and here you are again asking where you should state your complaint. If you are serious and the property manager is so bad, then you already went to the division. And if you went to the division, what did they tell you? Or did my second sentence hit the bullseye.
Suzie Marqua…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Oct 20, 2011
You have received some great answers. It sounds like you may have some issues to address with your management company. I would get a good attorney and educate myself on the laws and regulations. Through an attorney if there have been violations you may be able to negotiate a release from your contract. I wish you all the best.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
Fahrnyteam@yahoo.com
Jeffery Sklar, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Joypsalm91,

Is your current management company a member of the Board of Realtors? If they are, file a grievance with the GLVAR. Also, as stated in the previous answers, look into filing a complaint with the Nevada Real Estate Division, and consult with an attorney as to your legal rights. Is the company a member of the Better Business Bureau? Even if they are not, you can file a complaint with the BBB. I have to say I am surprised the Broker of this company is not being more responsive to your concerns. I and the Broker and Owner of Southern Nevada Property Management and would be ashamed if I had a client as unhappy as you are currently. Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding property management.

Jeffrey L. Sklar
Broker and Property Manager
Southern Nevada Property Management
8871 West Flamingo Road Suite 202
Las Vegas, NV 89147
Phone (702) 522-6764
Fax (888) 203-2779
Proud Member of the Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors Property Management Committee
Randy Bridges, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Oct 20, 2011
This is only my opinion. I'm not a lawyer, property manager or account, but I will say this. Just like your tenants lease agreement has terms and conditions, your property mangement company has something similiar to this. There are terms and conditions that your property management company must follow or be in breach of contract with you. Bottomline, you can cancel your contract based on certain items in the contract. Lastly, file a complaint with the Nevada Real Estate Commission. May sure all your communication is documented. Hope this helps.