Elkins Park Tax Assessment question?

Asked by izivanovic, Cheltenham, PA Mon Mar 11, 2013

I have recently bought a home in Elkins Park, PA and have just been informed that the Board of Assessments is looking at my property to be re-assessed. Apparently there might be Build Permit issues from on an addition which was put in way, way before I bought the home. What is my recourse in this situation. I have bought the house in Good Faith. The inspection was done properly. If I get re-assessed at a higher point it will probably cause us to not be able to afford our home. Can the Board increase our Taxes immediately to what the surrounding houses is? Do they do it incrementally? Why am I responsible for something which has occurred before me buying the home. The house size and amenities inspection correspond to the Public Records which what we were seeing at the time we bought the house. It didn't seem like anything was OFF about the property. If I get a lawyer, can I fight this in court and succeed or should I try and sell the home ASAP?

Answers

2
Anne Rubin, Agent, Elkins Park, PA
Mon Mar 11, 2013
You have the right to be upset and concern. With the information you provided there are still questions that need to be answered. I would be happy to discuss this further and try to assist you. You can email me directly at micymouse4@gmail.com with your contact information or you can call my office 215-887-4653.

Anne M Rubin CRS, ePro, GRI
Associate Broker
CENTURY 21 Advantage Gold
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Mon Mar 11, 2013
You are responsible for past permitting issues. A typical home inspection is not going to catch this. If you sell the home, you will lose money (realtor commission, closing costs).

I can think of 2 avenues you should take.

(1) When was the permit issue dated? If the Seller owned the home then, review th Seller's Disclosure. If he misrepresented the truth, you may have a case.

(2) A colleague just appealed his taxes in Elkins Park using an attorney. I will get his name and contact info.

If you email me, I will pass that info on to you.

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
267.507.2287
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference:  http://Kurfiss.com