Electric Ceiling Cable Heat

Asked by Nma, Fort Wayne, IN Fri Feb 25, 2011

Making an offer tomorrow. Only issue is that house has electric ceiling cable heat. They state electric bill averages $167/mo. We have heard good and bad. System is in working condition. Seemed fine during walk through. Any input? Good/Bad? Efficient?

Answers

4
Michael Host…, Agent, Fort Wayne, IN
Sun Feb 27, 2011
I'm not familiar with the specific home you are speaking of, but if after inspecting the system is in good condition and the house is sufficiently insulated, I wouldn't be afraid of pulling the trigger. There is some flexibiity with the system which Doug points out that are actually selling points for this type of heating system.
Doug Lucas, Agent, Fort Wayne, IN
Sat Feb 26, 2011
In addition to my previous response, there is an advantage to electric ceiling heat...you heat the rooms you want and to the degree you want. Each room has its own thermostat. If you like your bedroom cooler than other rooms, you can do so. If you have a room of the house you seldom use, turn the heat down low. Sometimes with forced air heat, rooms at the far end of the house are usually colder...with no option other than to cook the rest of the house. Elecrtic ceiling heat has options and benefits other systems do not.
Doug Lucas, Agent, Fort Wayne, IN
Sat Feb 26, 2011
Electric ceiling heat is very comfortable. I like the radiant heat feel. No blowing air. I believe if the house you are considering was a mix of gas heat and other electric utilities, you would probably have the same monthly bill (when both costs are combined). Remember, ALL of the power to this house is electric. Others may tell you what their electric bill is, but they forget to discuss the wide variance of gas cost. If you like the house, and it inspects fine, go for it. Many love electric heat, you may as well.
Kevin Fry, Agent, Fort Wayne, IN
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Not too bad of a bill if the house is totally electric, which I assume it is. No it is not efficient though. Next to electric forced air, it's one of the least efficient types of heat. How big is the home?