Does anyone have a map of the Conifer fire area of 2012?

Asked by ktrickett1, Conifer, CO Thu Oct 4, 2012

What is the "buzz" on home owners insurance as a result of the 2012 fire season?

--
This question is about this property: http://=www.trulia.com/property/3097302890-24858-Red-Cloud-Dr-Conif… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/property/3097302890-24858-Red-Cloud-Dr…

Answers

2
Bob Maiocco -…, Agent, Evergreen, CO
Thu Oct 4, 2012
What I have heard from a few home owners here and in my own experience is that insurance companies are being helpful and proactive with encouraging proper mitigation. Primarily promoting defensible space. There are a few carriers who will not insure up here but many still do. One of my clients told me a story of Chubb Insurance sending out their own wildfire defense team! This was apparently a privately funded group of fire fighters, well trained and equipped, defending individual homes that were threatened by the fires and insured by Chubb.
A couple insurance companies within Colorado have their own fire fighter teams who work side by side with responding fire departments. The insurers' fire fighters' efforts are concentrated on their insured homes and offer mitigation and preventative actions - not active fighting of the fires. Local fire chiefs who have accepted these insurance teams into their overall management of the fires (for example the recent Black Forest fire) get full cooperation and have found them useful. Not all chiefs readily accept their help due to the difficulty already experienced with managing communication among the responding fire firefighters. The Advisory Committee to Colorado's Division of Fire Prevention and Control has discussed the recent use of these insurance team fire fighters and will consider how future use of the teams might become more regulated and effective.
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013
Wow, that's impressive and creative on Chubb's part! I did see some footage of homes well mitigated that burned because of embers being blown by high winds. Thanks for the info. I know that living anywhere has its risks......
Flag Thu Oct 4, 2012
Bob Maiocco -…, Agent, Evergreen, CO
Thu Oct 4, 2012
Hi KTRickett,

The Lower North Fork Fire started a few miles further down Foxton Road than where this home in Conifer Meadows is located. That fire burned on the other side of the Foxton valley/canyon and climbed into the Littleton homes on and near Kuehster Road, which is accessed from Pleasant Park.

Here's the last map that the Sheriff posted of the fire right before they announced that it was fully contained. http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/2012/03/updated-lower-nor…

There was a wildfire on Redcloud a few years back, caused by a downed electric wire, but it was snuffed out pretty quickly by the Elk Creek Fire Department.

Oddly hardly any smoke was visible from this area since the predominant winds were to the northeast, carrying the smoke well east of us on most days. However, all of Conifer Meadows (including Redcloud) was evacuated.