Current resident of high meadow in amity douglassville pa- where do you see relief in taxes in this town- I

Asked by Daughter, Douglassville, PA Wed May 13, 2009

Current resident of high meadow in amity douglassville pa- where do you see relief in taxes in this town- Iwas doing my research and located a local representative that wants to pass a school tax elimination bill- can anybody advise me on what is going on. I am originally from Montgomery county perkiomen twp- My wife and 2 kids couldnt afford the homes in montco so we trekked to berks- yes the houses are cheap but they get you in taxes- when we had purchased from heritage homes they had said the taxes on our property would be about 7700 a yr total. We were comfortable with that. but then we got a tax bill for 11000- holy sh**
as of 6/30/2009 I will be loosing my job because of downsizing- what is a family to do in this situation- its not a mortgage thing- its a tax think- we cant sell because of the market so we are stuck!!! Is there relief with the new bill the local rep is trying to pass.

Answers

1
Sharon Sapp, Agent, Reading, PA
Wed Dec 14, 2011
Dear Daughter,

They have been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to eliminate the school tax and replace it with a restructured sales tax. Being the optomist that I am, I'm hoping at some point they can do something with the school tax. It may be possible for you to appeal your taxes if you bought your home when the market prices were higher. If you still have high taxes and have not yet appealed them, contact me and let's talk.