Property Q&A in San Mateo>Question Details

Raja, Home Buyer in San Mateo, CA

Close Garage door from inside the home-kitchen to make room for cabinets and create a new door frm outside the home. Will it cost resale?

Asked by Raja, San Mateo, CA Mon Mar 11, 2013

Hi there!
Remodeling question - I am not sure if it will hurt resale (in 5-6 years). We bought a kind of fixer-upper. Our kitchen has a door near our countertop that opens up to garage. We are remodeling our kitchen and are wondering if we close that door so we can get counter space and create a new door outside the house to get into garage.
This will make kitchen much better and cleaner but we will loose entrance to garage from within the house :(. We think we will use this house for 5-6 years - Do you think this will hurt us when we resell?

Our house is in San Mateo, 94403 area. And the kitchen is 13'x12' in dimension.

Answers

8
Hi Raja, I think that if you really want to watch your resell value, then I would keep the door. Access to the garage from the house is one of the normal luxuries that I don't think people want to loose. Perhaps you could find a new place to have a door, if you really want to increase your counter space.
http://www.auroraoverheaddoor.ca/en/markham.html
Generally speaking, it will hurt the resale value. I don't think very many people would be interested in having an attached garage that they can't even access from inside of the house. It may not hurt resell if the price is right.
mark Leach | http://www.crosstowndoors.com/products.php
It is not at all uncommon to hear open house visitors complain about either a free standing garage or one that requires you to walk outside to get into the house. If by chance your washer and dryer are in the garage do not close off the door.

If the only issue is a trade off between a significantly nicer kitchen vs loosing direct access to the garage I would look carefully for alternatives but most likely vote for a better kitchen.

A kitchen is often one of the most important things to home buyers. Many will remodel your brand new kitchen anyway however. If you keep your house longer than 6 years the odds will increase that a buyer will want to remodel the kitchen themselves.

If you close off or change the door be certain the change meets fire resistance requirements.

Juliana Lee
650-857-1000
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams

Over 30 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
Raja,

My "vote" is to keep interior access to garage. With the space you have in the kitchen, you could always add an island.

See you soon,
Cory
What's wrong with your roller door? I don't understand how you explained it. You shouldn't try and remodel so that you lose the door. No one will want to buy the house later. I would talk with a contractor before you make any decisions. http://therollerdoordoctor.com.au
Flag Fri Dec 19, 2014
Unless anyone using your new access to the garage is protected from bad weather I think you would be making a mistake. You do not want to have to go out into the rain just to get in the garage. I keep my cars in the garage and I would not want to go outside every day to get into my car and every night when I come home. I especially would not want to carry my groceries or other packages in the rain from the garage to the house.
We do a lot of our own development projects, but it's hard to comment without seeing the property in person. That said, it's a tossup. Having to go outside to get to/from the garage is definitely a negative, especially during the winter when it rains. Since the kitchen is good sized I would lean towards a solution that keeps interior access.
Yeah, it might be an issue for some... but I don't see demand letting up here any time soon. Someone will buy your place. That's a relatively minor sacrifice for a nicer kitchen. If you think it'll be a huge problem when the time comes, you can always switch it back, right? Also, consider talking to an interior designer. They might be able to give you another alternative. It can't hurt:)

David
A good question. Future buyers might complain about lack of direct access to the garage. At the same time a good, up to date kitchen might add more value. Just make sure that whatever you do, you do with permits. Only then you can add real value to your property.
Artur Urbans…, Real Estate Pro in Burlingame, CA