Property Q&A in Houston>Question Details

Romar-tmh, Home Seller in Houston, TX

Can a Buseness Law and Litigation type of Lawyer is the right one to help on CO OWNERSHIP NAME REMOVAL ON A DEEDED PROPERTY?

Asked by Romar-tmh, Houston, TX Mon Oct 11, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Talk to a Title Company before you hire an attorney. Explain what you are trying to accomplish and why. They will know if what you are trying to do is even possible for starters. Then if an attorney is required, they can refer you to the right kind of legal specialist for your particular situation. Personally, I would not use a business attorney or trial lawyer for real estate related matters.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 12, 2010
The person who is being removed has to be a willing and cooperative Party to the process. If it's a divorce, see a divorce atty. If it's a death/estate, a probabte atty can probably handle it. If it was my property, I'd consult with a real estate attorney who specializes in deeds, transfer of title, etc. and is knowledgeable about the laws in Texas with regard to property ownership (especially 'co-ownership'). Don't forget that the signed & notarized deed needs to be recorded in the property records too. Call a title company and they'll give you several names of attorneys who prepare deeds to transfer title to property. He/she will guide you through the process to insure that it is conducted properly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 12, 2010
Both owners can go to the courthouse together and file a Quit Claim Deed and pay a small filing fee.
If you are not comfortable with that then check the yellow pages for a Real Estate Attorney.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 11, 2010
I would consult a real estate lawyer specifically. But of course it depends on whose name you are removing from the deed (i.e. business partner or common law spouse).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 11, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer