Can I sell my house to my husband??

Asked by Chrysti, Minnesota Thu Dec 16, 2010

I am wondering If I can sell my house that is in my name, to my husband? We live in Minnesota.

Answers

4
Donald James, Agent, Edina, MN
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Hi Chrysti,

Minnesota is a joint tenancy state meaning spouses own property equally. You should check and find out if your home is deed joint tenancy (with right of survivorhsip) or as tenants in common (estate passes through probate). I would be happy to look at your documents and explain the differences to you.
Brad Anderson, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Fri Dec 17, 2010
If you own it, and are married to him, then he owns it already.
Metropolitan…, Agent, Edina, MN
Thu Dec 16, 2010
Hi Chrysti,

Yes, you can sell your home to your husband. Does this mean your husband is not on Title or the mortgage currently? If so, then you can sell your home to your husband for $1 if you would like. Basically, all you are doing is transferring title. If you want to sell the home for more you can do that too. You can even do a quitclaim deed to your husband to make it quick and easy...

If you are interested in finding out what your home is worth I offer a FREE Online Market Analysis. This will give you a very good idea on the value of your home. Feel free to e-mail me your address and I will have a Market Analysis to you by Tuesday next week.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me.

Have a nice day,

Tim Murphy
Metropolitan Home Team
Email: Tim.Murphy@Results.net
Phone: 952.223.0999
Dale A. Schu…, , Fairmont, MN
Thu Dec 16, 2010
In Minnesota, when you got married your house becomes 50% your husband even if the deed is in just your name. Minnesota is a 1 to buy state and 2 to sell state. So your house is already part your husband. This is the basic answer to your question