Can Australian citizens own property in the USA and are there any anomalies, and can we live in the unit for six months of the year?

Asked by Anthony Curley, Orlando, FL Fri Jun 10, 2011

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Sat Jun 11, 2011
Hi Anthony,

If you are rich enough to pay half a million for a condo that you will leave empty for six months a year, then you won't have any problems when it comes to buying in the US. If on the other hand you want to rent it out for the six months you are not here, then yes you will find a big anomaly. Not all property is zoned for short term rental. In fact most is not zoned for it.

Let me give you a word of warning. It's not hard to find companies in Australia, Canda, the UK, and lots of other places who "specialize" in helping their countrymen find a "good investment" in the USA. Be wary of such an offer. Pick an agent who lives here and can really help you find a bargain without any hidden agenda.

Good luck,
Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
1 vote
James Tan, Agent, elk grove, CA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
I believe my colleagues have already addressed most issues related to your question.
However, if you need more information on buying a home in USA for foreigners, pls visit Best regards.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Condo Metrop…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sat Jun 11, 2011
Anthony, if you have half a million to spend, I may have the perfect solution for you. You can apply for an EB5 visa which will actually give you and your family permanent green card status in the USA. You will need to be able to stay here for 6 months for each of the first two years and the cost will include the purchase of real estate which is zoned for short term rental... a "condo hotel".
For more info on the program give me a buzz or email. I'm also currently working with an Austraian on an investment purchase... watch out for places that don't let you rent out... there are many.

Marcus Burke
Orlando Real Estate Group
0 votes
Alan Martin, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sat Jun 11, 2011
Hi Anthony
Yes you can !! I am from UK and live and work in the vacation home areas around Disney Orlando. I understand completely all the facets that are connected to a foreigner buying property and visiting the US. I have been helping folks just like you since 1999. I almost moved to Perth a few yeas ago. I had a home built over a 2 year period when the market was hot. So I understand how things are done in Oz and can ' translate ' for you. I am not a pushy salesman. I will help you find a home that suits all of your requirements. I can also help you with advice and professional contacts in the visa, tax and accounting world if you need them. Please contact me if you thing may experience would be of benefit to you.
Kind regards
PS good advice from Mark
It is best to consult an agent here that specialises in this market. You will get a better idea of what is going on from someone like me who lives and works in it every day.
If you are planning a visit then I have a condo that you can stay in FOC if you do choose me as your agnet and buy a home using me as your agent :)
0 votes
Broker Dave, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sat Jun 11, 2011
Yes you can buy a property in the U.S. and length of stay is limited to your visa status.

I've help buyers from Countries from all over the World purchase properties for personal use and investment, I can explain and help you through the process.

Hope this helps,

Dave Lowe, Real Estate Broker
Graduate Realtor Institute, ePRO

Knowledge, Experience, Family Values
Web Reference:
0 votes
Francesco D'…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Hi Anthony,
As I said before there is not restrictions to own a property in the USA, however you need an approval first, from the Home Owner Association for this particular property.

Francesco D'Angelo
0 votes
Jose Morales, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Lutz, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Anthony, if you need financing please email or call me for a copy of my free report on the guidelines for foreign nationals. Rates for foreign national are very comparable now to those for US citizens.

Jose Morales
Florida Mortgage Coach
“We Coach You Through the Mortgage Process”
0 votes
Joe DeSane, Agent, Wellington, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Hey Anthony,

Yes you can own property in the US, no anomalies. I have an investor from VICTORIA AUSTRALIA who just closed on his first property last month.

Give me a call and i can explain the process to you and I can also give you my investors information and he can explain to you how easy it was for him!

Take care.

Joey DeSane
Realtor/Buyer Specialist
KG Realtor Group of Keller Williams Advantage II Realty
Direct: 407.489.7732
Office: 407.393.5901 ext. 162
eFax: 877.655.3123
0 votes
Chris Godkin, Agent, Celebration, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011

Yes no restriction s on ownership.
No anomalies.
Time periods for staying may depend on visa status, but I can refer you to an excellent local immigration attorneys for confirmation & free consultation.
Let me know.
Chris or e-mail
0 votes
Nancy Sheehan, Agent, Lady Lady, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Yes you can but :
I would recommend the services of a U.S. real estate attorney to guide you past the pitfalls, tax nuances and other legalities. For example, even as a nonresident, you will still have to pay U.S. real estate taxes. And if you do not have an individual taxpayer identification number or U.S. Social Security number when you sell the place, you may be subject to 10 percent withholding tax. For more details, visit the Web site of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service for rules for foreign owners of American real estate.

Re/Max Premier Realty
13940 US Hwy.441Fl. 32159
Summerfield, FL 34491
Direct: 352-406-1425
0 votes
Francesco D'…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Hi Anthony,
Yes Australian Citizens can own any real properties in the USA, there is not restriction to live in the unit, however you might need to check with Homeland Security as far as VISA, not quite sure how long you can stay in.

Francesco D'Angelo
321-872-7175 -
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more