Shavzz, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

Buying a garden level property

Asked by Shavzz, Jersey City, NJ Mon Apr 30, 2012

We have been in the market looking for properties for primary residence, we saw one that is at the garden level, almost 4 ft underground and about 10 ft ceiling. I am not too worried about the light, as it is not bad at all, however, I did research n saw ppl having concerns about following:
1) safety
2) moisture/humidity. It's new construction, so can't be sure of how it'd turn out.
3) flooding
4) next to electric meters
5) insects/rats

I am not sure how real these concerns are, as obviously, not everyone who lives in garden level property comments online.

Please suggest what to expect from such property in long run. Is it a good investment?

Answers

2
Albert M. St…, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Mon May 7, 2012
Hi Shavzz,
All these issues depend on a number of different factors.
1. Location......where is this property...is the neighborhood safe?
2. Location......is this property located near water or in a flood plane or flood zone..obviously if a
garden apartment is in Arizona...moisture will not be a problem. In downtown Jersey City it may
be a problem.
3. Please see #2...construction is also a factor in flooding or moisture penetration..what type of
foundation? What type of insulation? What type of drainage? etc.
4. If the electric meters or any meters are close to at the entrance of the garden apartment it
may be a visual or obstruction problem...I doubt that it would be a health problem.
5. All insects or rats can be controlled by proper design and control...again this question may be
answered by location....if it is near a restaurant or many restaurants..you may have a rodent or
insect problem.
Good luck.............you just need to ask enough questions and do enough research on the building
and the location...start by asking the neighbors.
All my best,
Bert
Amos Elroy, Agent, Bayonne, NJ
Tue May 1, 2012
Just to clarify, I am not dispensing these thoughts as a Real Estate professional, just as an investor who has experience with such things on a personal level.

The things you mentioned are of course issues of concern; however most of them are dependent on the specific conditions of the building.

The main concern of course is the flood issue. You would have to make sure the house is not in an area that floods, but furthermore you would need to have the property itself inspected for proper drainage.

Insects and rats can get anywhere, the real question is the garbage management, namely where the garbage facility is located and how accessible it is to rodents. In some areas you could add snakes to the list, since rodents attract snakes in turn. Snakes can get into a cellar through as little an opening as a dime.

Let me put my Real Estate Agent hat back on. As to investment value, that depends on what good of a deal you get when you buy it. If you got it lower than its estimated worth and there are no inherent problems with it, it could be as good an investment as any.

Amos Elroy
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert),
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)

Residential Real Estate Investment Consultant
Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411
http://www.HobNJRE.com

Twitter & Facebook: HobNJRE