Bill J Delig…, Real Estate Pro in Naperville, IL

Any suggestions on removing the very strong aroma of pets and pet urine within a home?

Asked by Bill J Deligiannis, Naperville, IL Tue Dec 4, 2012

Answers

13
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
servicemaster can handle this for you
Marlene Piat, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
I had a rehab property with a similar problem but fortunately it was on a concrete slab. All other contributors are correct about wood.

1- get rid of the carpet & pad - no hope for a remedy there.
2- prepare a very strong solution of an oxygenating product - Oxyclean my absolute favorite.
3- "SOAK" the area & let it sit for 30 mins or so.
4- mop up, rinse with clean water & repeat.

You might want to let it all dry for a couple days & repeat again.

It worked for me. Made a tidy 200% profit on my rehab. :))

John Potter, , Cook County, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Sometimes it can not be removed. You can spend a lot of money on enzymes at the pet store with no results. If that uric acid is in the grain of the wood or walls the only way to remove it is to replace the wood or green board or dry wall in the area of the stench.

Attempting to sand will not work. It will create a worse stench one just not tolerable with results not favorable to removing the stench.

Summer months are the worse since this stench is inflamed with the heat making it worse.

So replace the wood and drywall or plaster walls.
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012

Is the smell in the carpets or hardwood floors?

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
Soiled Carpeting.
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Bill,

I have been a similar situation. Ultimately all the carpeting had to ripped out and part of the flooring replace. It really depends on how many times the areas have been saturated with pet waste.

Here is one that says they can handle it http://www.servicemaster-qrs.com/cleaning/odor-removal-chicago/ using chemicals.

Best of luck,
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
I have seen refinished hardwood that still had a faint odor, so it can be a challenge..
What kind of pet? Cats are the toughest, but repeated urinating in the same place by any animal is going to be hard to remedy unless you can permanently seal the floor and surrounding surfaces.
First, use a commercial grade of enzyme to neutralize the urine.
In corners and along the wall, be sure to get behind and under the baseboard, and you may have to seal, prime and paint the walls as well.
All soft, absorbent surfaces in the area need to go. Grout needs to be removed and replaced on tile floors.

Mark Bazzetta, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Hey Bill. Pet odors are the worst! Provided there hasn't been long-term urination on hardwood floors and/or carpeting, I've had success using FRESH WAVE. It's a gelatinous material made of natural extracts of pine needle, lime, aniseed, clove, cedarwood & soya. I think I got them at Bed Bath & Beyond. Get one for each area that smells. You open the jar and leave it exposed to the air. Over time them dry out and disappear.

Mark
Web Reference:  http://www.MarkBazzetta.com
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Erik Sachs, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Hey Bill-

What type of flooring? That is probably the main source of the odor. Remove all carpet and padding and use kilz or some type of sealing paint on the on the underlayment before reinstalling. On hardwood, sand or screen and refinish. New coat of paint on the walls will also help.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
lower the price and it will not be as offensive
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Hey Bill, For sure use pros, the comments I made are intended to help you understand what the scope of work should be and what additional costs may be involved.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
If carpeting remove, and otherwise hire a professional company to take care of it, strong odor of
that kind is hard to take care of by the home owners.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life and Chicago and N. Illinois Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients at @Properties
French German Spanish and more
Local and international Real Estate....
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Cell 847 609 3949
http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Flooring is Carpeting.

Joseph - I'd love for them to lower the price even more (I represent the buyer)

Erik, Mark, Matt & Dave - Thanks for the suggestions.
Foreclosure - As Is Sale - buyer really wants the home in order to live in it. Not much wiggle room w/ price. Thanks for the suggestion.
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Have you gotten a price to reflect the fact that your clients will have to replace the carpeting and re-paint the walls? I went through this with a client's purchase of a SFH that housed 4 dogs and too many cats to count. It was a nightmare. They had to rip up the carpet, subflooring, baseboards, etc to get rid of the materials that had trapped the odors. Most clients will replace the carpeting anytime pets are involved, regardless of odor. G'luck with the deal!
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Call up a few different cleaning crews. Some of them have specials on things of this nature. Get a few quotes though, because some are really expensive. Cat urine is the worst though. Most likely you will have to replace the carpet then clean if thats the problem.