Although,i no longer own my home, i have tenants living there.i hired a property management co.to collect the rent...is this legal or can they sue me?

Asked by Business, Milwaukee, WI Fri Dec 3, 2010

Answers

3
Ginny Fuchs, , Milwaukee County, WI
Fri Dec 3, 2010
Your question is not clear. Can who sue you; the property management company or the tenant?
You don't own the home. You are not entitled to any money. Of course the tenant can sue you. I would call the management company and cancel the contract otherwise you're on the hook for the term of the contract. I would return any monies you've taken since you ceased ownership. If you continue to accept money, not only will you have to pay it back, but you'll be prosecuted for fraud and theft. The courts are very harsh on this type of behavior.
David Price, Agent, Milwaukee, WI
Fri Dec 3, 2010
of course, i would need to know the whole storty, but if you are no longer on the title at all, then those leases and tenants aren't yours to collect. If you don't own the home, i would sent a letter to the tenant that they should sent rent to the title holder.
Eric D Lenz, Agent, Greendale, WI
Fri Dec 3, 2010
There are too many questions that would need to be answered, and then an attorney should answer YOUR question. You're probably doing the owner a favor (somewhat) by not leaving the place vacant, but that does you no legal good.