Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Pleasanton : Real Estate Advice

  • All345
  • Local Info38
  • Home Buying180
  • Home Selling24
  • Market Conditions11

Activity 3
Mon May 19, 2014
Mike J asked:
This would be to extend an existing single story structure, adding approximately 740 sq. feet. to the rear of the house, where there is plenty of room. Thanks.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 3, 2013
Ali Qureshi answered:
Hi Mary,

I have worked with many home owners and Investors who have added square footage and/or done improvements. I am working with one investor who is building a house in Pleasanton. Depending on the contractor and the city, price can rage anywhere starting from $100 SqFt. My client uses a contractor and depending on the project he charges around $150/ SqFt. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 22, 2013
The Medford Team answered:
I always have clients looking for a good sized home with either a section of the home that’s been converted to a separate “mother-in-law” unit or a standalone unit out back. I actually have a couple right now. Problem is, most neighborhoods are zoned for single occupancy and local building officials will not allow any additional living units of any kind. It’s why we see so many “non-permitted” variants as families get “creative” to try to accommodate specific needs. Many of these run into issues with neighbors, city officials or have liability issues when selling because of the non-permitted “additions.”

You asked a couple of questions:

Q1: How would this affect the resale value?
A: In most cases, if properly done, it will increase value. In reality, homes that have an extra legal unit are classified as duplexes and will therefore have value based on total square footage AND income potential. These types of homes are very popular and, if done right, typically sell very quickly.

Q2: and property taxes?
A: This will increase the property taxes. When you add permitted square footage, the property is re-assessed by the County based on the existing tax base for that specific home.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Remodel & Renovate in Pleasanton Zip Codes