Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Philadelphia : Real Estate Advice

  • All3K
  • Local Info307
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling151
  • Market Conditions50

Activity 8
Sat Nov 19, 2016
As long as the insurance covers 100% replacement cost of the home you can change insurance. We always do a blast to about 10 of the lowest and best insurance agents if Florida to ensure our clients are getting the most competitive insurance rates before they bind. We provide FHA/VA loans all the way down to a 580 fico. As a licensed real estate broker and mortgage broker over 10 years i can answer any questions you have throughout the process.

US Mortgage Lenders - Thomas Martin
Min Fico 580 FHA/VA Loan Approvals 7 days a week
PH: 954-667-9110
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri May 20, 2016
Paul answered:
I find using helps me to navigate all the financial costs of purchasing a home. It is very educational, informative and easy to use.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 31, 2014
Hilary Lefkowitz-Karaman answered:
Hi Malita,

A lot of insurers and underwriters do not want or understand how to insure flat roofs. This has been a common problem I have run into over and over again. I know clients have found reasonable rates with both State Farm and Travelers.

Hope that helps!


Hilary Lefkowitz Karaman
Investment Specialist
Director's Club

Weichert, Realtors
93 Old York Road, Ste 6
Jenkintown, Pa 19046
215-885-8100 (office)
215-919-7497 (mobile)
215-885-3834 (fax)
RE License: RS318196
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 30, 2014
Sean Mooney answered:
Phong -
It is very common for insurance companies to require roof certifications for flat roof homes in this area. They are looking to identify 2 major things- the type of roof and the age of the roof. Some insurance carriers will extend or exclude coverage based on the type of roof covering. The life expectancy for a hot tar roof is only about 5 years or so and the insurance company doesn't want to extend coverage for a roof that wasn't properly maintained. The other types like a rubberized bitumen or a silvercoat covering can last sometimes last over 20 years which decreases the likelihood of a claim occurring. And if a reputable roofer installed the roof it will normally come with a warranty that could could last the life of the roof. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 27, 2010
Ken Carlson answered:
Not only should you have home owners insurance when you go to close, it is a good idea to obtain a specific quote when you have an accepted offer. That could reveal previous claims that may effect your decision to accept or waive the inspection contingency. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 24, 2010
Gerard Dunn answered:
Yes, you will need to have insurance in order to settle.

All lenders - FHA, VA and Conventional will require insurance with them as the loss payee.

You will need a receipt an declaration page to prove insurance to your lender before they will release papers.

Good Luck!…
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 23, 2010
Jeanne Feenick answered:
Yes, you will need home insurance prior to closing in order for final approval of your mortgage from underwriting. Good luck!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice