Parks & Recreation in 90275>Question Details

Lee Williams, Real Estate Pro in Rolling Hills Estates,...

Where is the most romantic hiking spot in the Los Angeles South Bay or Beach Cities?

Asked by Lee Williams, Rolling Hills Estates, CA Wed May 4, 2011

Answers

6
Jim Mitchell’s answer
I agree with Maureen that Del Cero Park has great views and a good hiking trail, but Hesse Park on Hawthorne Bl in RPV is bigger and also has ocean views. And it's hard to beat the park at the Whale Interpretive Center just north of the Pt Vicente Light House on the cliffs of RPV where you look down on crashing surf. Angel's Gate Park and the Korean Bell overlooking the entrance to L.A. Harbor is impressive too. And Redondo Beach's Dog Park on 190th Street is just for dogs. Take your pick and enjoy!.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 31, 2011
I think that it is at the top of the Palos Verdes Peninsula at Del Cerro Park just south of the intersection of Crenshaw Blvd. and Crest Road in Rancho Palos Verdes. Go up the hill to the right when you get to the park for incredible views of Catalina, the Terranea Resort and Abalone Cove. The lookout is just above the Vanderlip Mansion in Portuguese Bend. There is a great hiking trail in the Portuguese Bend nature preserve down from Del Cerro Park. See other Palos Verdes Peninsula hiking trails at my website page PV Sports, Recreation
And Parks referenced below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 4, 2011
There are some great hikes out of the Ladera Linda community center area. It connects into the Flying Triangle (Portuguese Bend) with views over the water to Catalina. Another great spot is the walk along the bluffs near Bluff Cove (Paddleboard Cove). Finally, one of my go to places is the Abalone Cove Nature Reserve just below Wayfayer's Chapel. There are great tide pools, views to Catalina, and if you look closely, you'll catch the spray from one of the gray whales migrating to Baja in early winter or in the spring on their return north.
I think a great spot to hike is along the bluffs from Pt. Vicente Lighthouse to Terranea resort. You can always stop at Nelsons for a drink and to watch the sunset.
I don't know why, but I am continuously drawn to the walking trails near Highridge Park in Rancho Palos Verdes.It is located off of Highridge which is off of Hawthorne Boulevard. Turn up the hill at the gas station/car wash. You park your car there and then walk across the field to the beginning of the trail that takes you behind the houses on the horse trail. Just follow the white, split rail fence. It is wooded and quiet and private. It's my favorite walk. Or, you can park at Highridge just before Ocean Terrace and take the trail that goes behind the houses on the nonview side. That too, is a private and quiet trail that I treasure. Both trails I have mentioned eventually take you to stunning vistas of the ocean and give you such a sense of serenity, it is priceless. I have to say I have NEVER run into anyone on either trail!
I am sorry I don't know it.
Steve