Cristina, Other/Just Looking in Madison, WI

Where is the best lake for sailing in Madison?

Asked by Cristina, Madison, WI Mon Jun 25, 2007

Where are the best marinas?

Dane County, the County that Madison is located in has some great lakes for sailing. There are four fairly large lakes in Dane County. Lake Mendota, Lake Monona, Lake Waubesa, and Lake Kegonsa. Each lake is large enough for sailing and you will see boats often on Lake Mendota and Lake Monona. The Capital is between these two lakes making it the only capital city on an isthmus in the county.
the link has info about launch fees and park info
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 26, 2007
Lake Monona is a smaller, calmer lake and often has less boat traffic then its larger counterpart, Lake Mendota. Lake Mendota is larger and therefore can get a bit choppier and busier with traffic.
In addition you have Kegonsa and Waubesa as well. As I don't boat on those two lakes as much, I can't give you a great personal opinion. Thanks for your great question!
I think you can have the best time wherever your friends are. I am a big fan of the Hoofers Sailing Club.
Lake Monona has a weekly Regatta of Sail Boaters that are magnificent to see in the evenings during the summer. Anyone who has a sailboat is welcome, and it's a great way to meet fellow sailboaters!