Do most bicyclists live in particular areas in SF? I ask because of the crazy hills!

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

3
Jed Lane’s answer
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
As a native who's ridden here for over fifty years the hills are fairly easy to get around. Few will ride up Fillmore from the Marina for instance or California from the Financial District.

The new bike culture is centered in the flats. Valencia Street appears to be a major thoroughfare.

Most of my life I've lived on the Westside above West Portal and ridden around Twin Peaks instead of over them. I did find a route that takes you up Market St. (Clayton St) instead of going out to the Park and then up 7th Ave.

Best thng about the increase in riders is the sharing of routes. The wiggle is a perfect example. It follows a path of a water flow from an old lake, Sans Souci, on Divisidero to Valencia and Market. As such is has a very gentle rise to Oak and Fell. Obviously one could ride up Page st or Haight st but the elevation is much greater.
Kevin Ho, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Being a bicyclist myself (I do obey traffic laws mind you) I can say that many folks like living near the "wiggle," the Panhandle and Golden Gate Park. More specifically, the Mission, Lower Haight, Haight, North of Panhandle, and parts of SoMa.
Love that term, I am totally gonna start saying that!
Flag Tue Feb 5, 2013
Beatrice Jac…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Bicyclists live in all part of the city. the answer is No.