Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Oxnard Pacific : Real Estate Advice

  • All2
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 2
Thu Mar 1, 2012
John Arendsen answered:
If it's a manufactured home park/development/community, etc. before you purchase any manufactured home that sits on piers and pads you should definitely get a home inspection done by an experienced manufactured home inspector and not just any home inspector.

They should thoroughly check your understructure to make sure the home is level and the pier jacks and wood pads are in good shape and securely placed in the right locations and tight and that the home is level.

Also make sure they check for rips or tears in your vapor barrier, aks varment barrier. Rodents and critters love to nest in this plenum and rats have been known to eat wiring. Make sure there's no drainage, dampness or mold issues.

Finally make sure the home has a Housing and Community Development (HCD) approved Earthquake Resistant Bracing System (ERBS) system under it as the entire Venture County is in a Zone 4 seismic area which is the highest risk catagory.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at or you can call me anytime at 760 815-6977. We do not perform home inspections as that would be a conflict of interest inasmuch as we are a Manufactured Home Contractor, Dealer and real estate broker. But we would be happy to refer you to a reliable MH inspector in that area. Good Luck.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 11, 2010
Joe Nernberg answered:
Yes, a water heater needs a permit. I have seen bad installations that may be a safety concern to the occupant(s). Bonnie and I have rolled our eyes at a few. You may contact me at and I will send send a checklist from the local building department.

Gerry Taal: California does NOT license home inspectors. I will be happy to direct you to some local home inspectors that are certified by reliable organizations.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Search Advice