Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

10562 : Real Estate Advice

  • All17
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 16
Wed Aug 24, 2016
Connie answered:
Hello, did u end up buying the place? We are in the same situation now. So I am wondering how it worked out for you and determine what to do
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 14, 2016
Arlene Campbell answered:
You can call the city/town building department to check if there's any violation on the property. It's public records.

It also help if you find a realtor to help you go through the process in home purchasing. You can also start ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 5, 2014
Suzanne MacDowell answered:
Most of the homes that appear on Trulia are fed by the real estate agents who list them. If your home is showing up one of two things is happening, either the former agent has failed to pull them down, in which case you will need to contact the agent, or some other website is automatically feeding the information to Trulia, in which case, if the information is considered 'public information' there is not much you can do about it. The fact that you said 'pictures', plural, leads me to believe your home had been listed with a realtor and is no longer. Contact the agent and ask that the photos be taken down. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 13, 2014
andrea keyser answered:
Terrific set of answers here & i'm happy to say i know just about every one of you. It's our commitment to the profession which includes thoughtfulness and willingness and desire to cooperate with one another that makes us worth the commission spent. While not regulated, there are trends, and as the others said, ask each agent to share with you not only what fee their brokerage house requests for their services (with services spelled out) but also what is being offered to cooperating agents in your particular market. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 13, 2014
andrea keyser answered:
Another site for stats of all kinds for just about any place - in this case, Ossining:
Still; STATS are only that. Everyone has different levels of comfort re noise, traffic, and different senses too of perceived security.
Hamilton has some of the most stately homes in all of Ossining. History & VIEWS! galore.
We restored an old 1850's home just up from the river 23 years ago, & are still here enjoying the view.
Happy to help anyone with that kind of project! :)
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 12, 2014
Micah Matson answered:
Thu Apr 10, 2014
Stephen Krivisky answered:
Oftentimes you can do the best by consulting a mortgage banker who has access to direct funding as well as a multitude of of other lenders and programs. There are just too many programs out there for one broker to have access to. I work very closely with such an organization and would welcome a call from you to discuss your needs - no obligation or cost to you!

Stephen Krivisky
Grand Lux Realty
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 22, 2013
Xavier Durrant answered:
The agents before me addressed how finding another agent in your case would be legal and in fact suggested so I won't repeat.
You mentioned that you have a reco from a friend. I would strongly take he or she up on that. Buying a home is a huge investment. You need to feel comfortable and confident shelling out your hard earned money. Go with someone you feel you can trust.

Best of luck,
Xavier Durrant
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 25, 2013
InItForTheLongHaul asked:
I am in a situation where a refi is not an option due to credit problems/late pay. Financially back on track, but now due to other issue must enact sale to satisfy divorce agreement. Are…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Mike428 answered:
I'm currently renting and my gf and I are worried about our children s welfare and safety. You get to the point of saying screw it and just go for it. Its called taking risk. And no one in Platte City will rent to us. We both work 2 jobs apiece and nearly 40-60 hrs aweek. But the people there won't consider us working. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 17, 2011
Abijah Spence answered:
The Town/City Assessor's ofice of where you'd like the info to come from. Some town & cites display this info
online websites or you'd have to go pick up a property card for the assessor office sometimes there's a fee for
this service.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 8, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
If you are a for sale by owner, Trulia does not allow the post, you can however try blogging about the property; if and when you do list with an agent, he/she can post for you, just ask; or consider any flat fee realty company that feeds into this site. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 30, 2010
Catherine C Capasso answered:
Con Edison is the gas and electric service provider. You need to confirm that the seller was also purchasing the product from them. If so, it is very easy. All you need is their account number and you can login to Con Ed and retrieve the usage history. Oil is not as simple. There are many providers as well as COD companies. Ask for the receipts and/or names of the oil company they used.

It is important to know that your particular usage may be significantly higher or lower than the current owner. If you are trying to figure what your utility costs will be, you can also get help from the utility providers. There are general guidelines for consumption on every home based on three key factors:

1. Age, insulation and square footage of the home.
2. Age and efficiency of the heating and cooling systems.
3. Your family lifestyle; number of people, demands on hot water usage, hours spent in and away from the home.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 16, 2009
NoreenandWayne answered:
Hello Reather - the website we go to find demographic information is and here is the page for Ossining: My husband and I are full time Realtors and live and work in the area. If you have any other questions, just ask, we are here to help.
Noreen & Wayne, Associate Brokers
Better Homes & Gardens Rand Realty
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Tammy Benkwitt answered:
You should check your offering plan. It will outline the rights and responsibilities of the board. Altering common elements may be defined for example as removing those arch entryways or other structures that were in place when the property was first offered for sale. Taking away common area of a condo community in some cases may require not only a majority approval of unit owners, but their respective mortgage companies as well. In this case, a structure is not being removed but rather, obscured. See what the offering plans says and go from there.

You may also want to inquire with Verizon to see what they can do to minimize the disruption to the exterior view.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice