Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Oriental : Real Estate Advice

  • All7
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 6
Thu Feb 20, 2014
Home Inspector answered:
Many factors determine your rate but the most costly one is floor height above base flood elevation or "BFE". The BFE for your location is determined from FEMA flood insurance rate maps and is given in height above mean sea level. To get an accurate quote you will need to hire a surveyor to determine floor height above or below sea level and provide you with an "elevation certificate". Cost of an elevation certificate varies but usually runs in the $400-500 range. Yes, a policy for a home with a floor level below BFE is likley to run in the "thousands" but homes built 2 feet above could be much less. Flood map base flood elevation data changes over the years so dont expect you rate to be the same as an older policy the present owner has. hope this helps ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Feb 8, 2014
Michelle Carr-Crowe answered:
Looks like you've received some helpful input and answers here. Now ask some of these knowledgeable folks to maybe filter out the properties that are skewing the DOM.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 7, 2013
The Jbd Team answered:
Thu Feb 7, 2013
The Jbd Team answered:
You can type the address into the MLS search box and it will pull up the history "times it has been listed" days on MKT etc. Or as others have said go on line to the register of deeds and follow the deed transfer.

Jude Dodds
Coldwell Banker Willis Smith - Oriental
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Nancy Crain and Darrell Wiard answered:
Frankly, I don't believe anyone told you that. Prices are what people will pay and we are not overpriced in Oriental and Pamlico County. You've been posting "questions" on Trulia for several months and each one is very negative toward our communities. I don't know what your motive is but I hope everyone reads this and takes it to heart. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Suzanne & Larry Gwaltney answered:
I would encourage you to develop a relationship with a Realtor who is knowledgeable about the area and regulations impacting properties, especially in coastal areas where there are CAMA and Division of Water Quality rules. In many rural communities, septic systems are required and a septic inspection to permit installation of a proper system is required. You can find lots for sale on Zillow and on as well as many other websites where IDX data is pulled from the local MLS. Again,,finding a knowledgeable professional in the real estate community will save you much time and provide assurance that your investment is a good one. Obtain the services of a professional who shares knowledge related to the property and feasibility of use for your purposes to represent your interests and negotiate the best terms for you ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Oriental Zip Codes