Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Ownership in Oklahoma : Real Estate Advice

  • All113
  • Local Info6
  • Home Buying48
  • Home Selling33
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 7
Sat Apr 23, 2016
Eric W. Wyatt asked:
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Annette Lawrence answered:
This would be the right time to request a meeting with your real estate agent.
It is for is purpose most agents attend the inspection. Should something be found that need correction. I always ask, "What does a fix look llke?" If the resonse is, "Two inches needs to be removed from this 1/2 PVC drain pipe..." I can fix it faster that the inspector can write it up. One inspector gone goofy was going to write up a plug not fully seated in the receptable until my toe pushed it into place.
Your agent very likely compared the list of repairs you requested and the seller agreed to and verified via receipts, personal visit, or during the final walk through with you. You ALSO should have been looking to confirm such requested repairs were completed and confirming no new issues such as under sink leaks has occurred.
If it is factual that the repair was agreed to by the owner and was not fixed (be aware, the nature of the problem may have been a blockage causing slow drainage requiring a snake. This could have been completed by the current owner and there would be no evidence or abiliy to visually confirm.) We do not have sufficient data to know.
If your agent confirms the repair was agreed to and not completed, your agent can push the request to the former owner, if able to find, using correct protocol. Your next options is balancing the open ended cost of an attorney to the fixed cost of doing the repair as you intend. Let's not overlook the conditions of the home sale such as "As-Is'.

A sign off on the final walkthrough means you found everything satisfactory. An attorney would LOVE to hear from you, but whether that action is truly in your best interest is up to you to decide.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Bill Hayden answered:
Hello, the best place to find out this information is at the County courthouse at the Clerk's office where your mother's real estate holdings were located. You are wanting to ask to see the appropriate book of records which will have all of the deeds and other public records associated with the home recorded. Provided all of the owners since your mother had the deeds et al recorded.

You can also ask to find out who the current owner of record is paying the property taxes. We as Realtors can do this for you if we have the address of the property. However, many times the Owner of Record is a trust, Investment company, etc. Also, several counties now have their records online and you can search for the information yourself. Be careful though because there are some sites that look like the counties, but are actually paid search companies.

From your question I'm under the impression your mother may have had more real estate holdings than just her home. If this is the case, you may want to go to the expense to contact a local Abstract and Title company to do a search for your mothers' properties. Most of them have an attorney on their staff who will provide an opinion on the properties, including other rights that might be disclosed by the abstract. Just ask them for an estimate to give you an idea of the costs.

Hope this helps you and good luck. Should you have any questions or concerns, please give me a call 405 - 562 - 0886 or e-mail
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Chris Martin answered:
Yes, an appraiser or a professional Realtor can provide that information to you.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice