Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Oakland : Real Estate Advice

  • All880
  • Local Info78
  • Home Buying346
  • Home Selling53
  • Market Conditions32

Activity 20
Mon Aug 14, 2017
David J Gill asked:
The issue is largely an aesthetic one of peeling paint and dirty walls, but rotting wood is also a big problem that threatens the integrity of the building and has created some minor health…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 19, 2015
"Bad" credit is relative. What specifically are your credit scores?
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Cindy Davis answered:
Mon Aug 3, 2015
My NC Homes Team answered:
I beleive anything that you and the owner agree to would be perfectly legal. You shold speak to a local attorney to confirm this and to have them create the language to be inserted in the lease to protect you. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 3, 2015
Jerry Blaswell asked:
My landlord wants me to sign a new lease in Oakland for a single-family home I've been renting, but with the lack of rent-control for single family homes in Oakland, I am nervous he…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 28, 2015
Trevolyn Haines answered:
Are you subletting from person A or do you have an agreement with the properties owner?

If you are subletting (which most property owners/landlords do not allow without written consent) from person A, they can ask for you to leave at the end of your lease. Typically they have to give you a 30 day notice if you have been there for less than 1 year and 60 days if over.

If you are on a lease with the property owner, then they would be the one that needs to give you notice.

There are several really good tenants rights groups in Oakland which you may want to go to for help for your particular situation.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Mar 30, 2015
Hello OLIVIA, you should flag the ones you suspect as scams to be removed. They are usually the ones that are so low of rents and to good to be true. Beware of the many rental scams out there these days on all sites. The scams are on all of the rental listing sites except one that us agents/broker use such as mls, multiple listing service.

You should not give anyone any funds or personal information without confirming with a licensed agent/broker or management company to find out whom you should be dealing with and the status of any address of interest.

The rentals in 94606 zip code start from $832 for 1bd 1ba apartment and the single family homes start from $1,900 for 2bd 1ba home. If you figure out what cities/zip codes you are considering, minimum number of bedrooms and the maximum payment/price you are looking to achieve you can be emailed listings to fit your search criteria. Your email address is needed to set you up for the automatic daily updates.

You should study RENT vs BUY options as you may qualify to buy with minimum out of pocket expenses and pay less than rent in many cities. You may qualify to buy FHA with fico scores between 500-579 with 10% down or minimum 580 fico score may qualify FHA 3.5% down or as low as .5% half percent down payment program. You may consider 3% down conventional from a minimum 620 fico score. Your fico scores can be raised within 3-4 days in most cases to qualify for programs, rates and terms as necessary.

The purchase in 94606 zip code start from 259k for 1bd 1ba condo and the single family homes start from 350k for 3bd 1ba home which is as low as $1,750 down payment with a minimum 580 fico score.

You will need to be pre-approved to be able to meet an agent to view and submit offers on any homes of your choice. Your qualifications will be determined by your credit profile, debt to income ratios, fico scores, home price, loan program and how much you want to invest into the down payment and closing costs.

It only takes a few dozen questions to qualify, go over your options and email you listings to study and compare. Here are some links to study as well as web reference links to many loan program pages offered...

Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
Veteran & VA/CalVet Loan Specialist
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
22+ Years Experience
BRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
9am till 5pm by phone Monday thru Saturday, Sundays by appt., EMAIL ANYTIME 24/7 or

If my response was helpful, consider clicking Thank, Link or Best Answer.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 8, 2014
Sivya Weis answered:
I would take your agreement to a real estate attorney in your area who specializes in tenant / landlord rights. Let them review the agreement and advise you on your rights, so you can decide if you want to pursue any action against the landlord. Best of luck, ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Antoine Pirson answered:
What would have been informative is what type of property, how large, bedrooms, etc, and how much you would be willing to offer in terms of interest rate, and or what your max payment would be. Your question is truly to vague. How much down even with lease to own option?
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 17, 2013
John Souerbry answered:
The People would rise up in armed rebellion and overthrow the illegitimate government that would allow such a thing to happen. Next question?
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Nick answered:
This answers your questions....I'm about to buy and will rent a room: This is on the city of oakland's site about tenant law. You do not have to go by tenant's laws as if you have one person there, and you live there and share common area, they are a lodger, not a tenant.

"Single lodger in a private residence
A lodger is a person who lives in a room in a house where the owner lives. The owner can
enter all areas occupied by the lodger and has overall control of the house.9 Most lodgers have
the same rights as tenants.10
However, in the case of a single lodger in a house where there are no other lodgers, the
owner can evict the lodger without using formal eviction proceedings. The owner can give the
lodger written notice that the lodger cannot continue to use the room. The amount of notice
must be the same as the number of days between rent payments (for example, 30 days). (See
“Landlord’s notice to end a periodic tenancy,” page 50.) When the owner has given the lodger
proper notice and the time has expired, the lodger has no further right to remain in the owner’s
house and may be removed as a trespasser."
... more
1 vote 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Pacita Dimacali answered:

1. Do you have a current lease -- and what are the terms of the lease
2. How long has the tenant lived in this address?

Finally, have you read the provisions of Just Cause for Eviction or Measure EE. If not, you should at least familiarize yourself with it.

Here's a site dedicated to tenant rights. It provides a list of reasons for eviction, what it will take to evict, and when a landlord can/tcan't evict.

Good luck.
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 29, 2012
lorenachappuzeau answered:
My dear you are renting to some one with section8, this all ready tells u that they are low income tenants. I would ask you to be understanding and have empathy for them, economy is very stuff and hard thess days, get to know your tenants and check them out if they are really short or they are spending money in crack and lame stuff.
We are a family of four straggling with no section8 chance ...I believe there are honest hard working people out there trying to make I also know there are mess up people out there..check your people out and see what kind of people are....good luck
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 15, 2012
Cheryl Berger answered:
Most landlords will perform upgrades to the unit once a long term renter leaves. This way they are making it more desirable to the next renter and can usually increase the rent. I agree with most of the other comments, as to giving the renter a chance to paint and clean. Most of the time the carpet will need to be replaced and the unit painted. This is usually an expense of the landlord in most states. If the property is left in complete disarray then the landlord will usually hold onto a portion of the security deposit to clean it up. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Kevin and Julie McLaughlin answered:
I'm guessing you posted this question in response to answers you received on a different question... Please let us know if you need additional info.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Taj Weldon answered:
Tips for Renters
1. Utilize a reputable source to search for listings, like a property management office
2. If you have to use places like Craigslist- Do research on the property before providing any money or personal details like your ssn
3. A local Real Estate Agent/Agency can let you know who the owner of a property is.You can use that information to compare to the identification of the person renting the property.
4.Do not do everything remotely.Go to the property and meet the owner in person.
5.Go by the property at different times of the day to check out the neighborhood and activity in the home.
6. When you do find a place that you want to rent.Make sure that the payment is affordable.
7.You should also do an initial walk through where you document any defects or issues with the property.Document and send it to the landlord.That way the landlord cannot take those damages out of your security deposit when you are ready to move.

There are soo many more tips that I can provide.I hope that is a good start.

Taj Weldon
Real Estate Agent
209 740 4176
DRE 01816152
Imara Mortgage and Realty
... more
3 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 18, 2011
Bob Georgiou answered:

If you have owner representations in writing its going to be hard to win anything. Many tenats quit paying when they learn the home is on its way to foreclosure so It's good that you are honoring your end of the bargain. The sale date is certainly problematic but most banks will not foreclose if they have an open file, the problem you have is that if this owner has been less than forthcoming with you, who says they are being forthcoming with the bank? Next time make a friend with a title rep and on the next property ask them to check public records to see if the owner has equity, when they bought the home, when they last refi'd and it will be pretty clear who the reputable owners are and are not.

The good news is that if the bank does foreclose you will get your deposit back (there a big damages if you don't) plus the bank will give you a check to move...
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri May 6, 2011
Larry Benedetto answered:
most likely you would have to declare the income. But now you also change the property in such a way that there maybe new tax deducxtions for you. Also you should let oaklands rent board know. Also consider this if you want to get back in and the tenat is a good one, then oakland rental laws may make it more difficult for you. Check with your accontant, and lawyer is my advise. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 2, 2010
Gilbert Richards answered:
First thing you need to do is call an Attorney. So he/she can give you the details. But whether or not they have a lease, if someone is living in your property unlawfully you can evict them.

I know an excellent real estate attorney, his name is John Gardener is phone number is (925) 944-6080. Tell him Gilbert referred you. The good thing about John is that he is free as far as the initial consultation and is very upfront in giving all the options available, with or without an attorney.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 12, 2009
Jeff Woo answered:
There are some differences in renting to a Section 8 tenant, even in Oakland. You will still have to abide by the Just Cause for Eviction ordinance in Oakland, but in addtiion, if you want to raise rent, you will need to be sure that the total rent with the increase does not exceed the "pay standard" which should be published with Oakland's Housing Association.

In addition, if you want to evict a tenant for what we terms as "no cause" eviction under Oakland's ordiance, such as owner move it, you have to give extra notice - 90 days.

Furthermore, there can be problems dealing with the local Housing Association in getting paid. They are required to do an annual inspection and if you don't pass, they stop paying. Getting back on their payment schedule can be a challenge.

The main reason people rent to Section voucher holders is that the rents they pay or often top dollar.

Jeff Woo, Esq.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
Complex Rental Hlousing Group
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice