Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

91324 : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 11
Mon Nov 25, 2013
Danielle Smith answered:
New laws have passed, it can be as short as one year. How long has it been since your short sale?
1 vote 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 2, 2013
Keith Campbell answered:
Just a quick note on charging more than two months rent in "deposits" - This is from the la times.

"Move-in fees and deposits go by several names and all have a part to play. However, no matter what term is used by the landlord, such as "cleaning deposit," "key deposit," "pet deposit" or even "last month's rent," the law considers all money taken as the same thing--security deposit. While there is no minimum deposit amount set by law, California state law defines maximum security deposit and couches the specifics based on furnishings."

"Unfurnished rentals have a set limit that cannot exceed two months' worth of rent. For example, if your rent is $1,000 a month, the maximum security deposit you can be asked to pay for an unfurnished place is $2,000. At move-in, your cost could be $3,000 total (deposit plus rent for the first month)."

"What if your landlord refuses to rent to you and your beloved dog unless you pay a separate "pet deposit"? Can you sign a pet deposit agreement on the side and pay a little extra deposit for the varmint? Yes and no."

"Yes, you can sign whatever you find palatable as a consenting adult, but not if your legal rights are violated or breached in any way. No, you can't sign away a legal right in the state of California. The pet deposit still has to be within the legal security deposit limit, even if both landlord and tenant agree to a higher amount."
... more
1 vote 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 22, 2011
Melanie McShane answered:
Hi - did you go through an agent to help you find the home to rent, or have you been talking to the owners directly? If you need assistance in verifying that you are getting into a legitimate transaction, please feel free to contact me. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Raffi Philiposian answered:
Hi jazz,
I used to live the Conejo Valley until last July, and I work in that area, and member of the MLS.
Please contact me so that I help you with your search.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Selling Buying Ryan answered:
Hello Dear Deb,

That’s a great question!
However, this should have never come up as a problem, since your agent should have discussed this matter with you on the very beginning of signing the Purchase Agreement. Buyer normally takes possession after close of escrow, or if different it has to be stipulated in the purchase agreement (3 days after closing at 5:00pm) etc. I had some closings, the buyer requested 10 days after closing close, to take possession and move in.
Again Real Estate is the place where everything is possible, as long it is in writing and all parties involved agree to the terms.

Ryan Gussman, Realtor
Alter Wilson Real Estate
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 18, 2010
Emily Knell answered:
Hopefully the listing agent isn't the broker of the company he represents. I can help you find this out or maybe you can on your own.

Find out who the broker is of the real estate company. If you have your own agent, have them write up an offer on the house & DIRECTLY PRESENT THE OFFER TO THE BROKER.

I suggest you get an agent to represent you. However if you're doing this on your own, go over to the Real Estate office & SPEAK TO A BROKER OR MANAGER DIRECTLY.

Tell them you're PO'd and you want to make sure your offer is being reviewed!!

If neither of these things work. Go to the local board of Realtors for the Northridge area & file & ethics complaint.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 26, 2009
Richelle Briasco answered:
Selling a house is is a very large and demanding transaction. It is in your best interest to hire a Realtor or an Attorney. Contract law is very specific. If there is a problem, the judge usually sides with the buyer. That would not be you. If there was a problem with the property, the buyer could file suit against you for numerous reasons. A Realtor or an Attorney would draft a contract with language to protect you. Even if you sell the property "AS-IS" there are other considerations such as fair market value. Do you have an accurate assesment of how much the property is worth? Will the neighbor be stealing the house? If you are trying to save money on the comission, it could cost you even more in the end. You might want to negotiate with a Realtor so that you are protected, and they get paid for a valuable service. It would be win-win for both of you. Please feel free to call or email with any questions. Have a wonderful day.
Richelle Briasco
RE/MAX Estates
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 26, 2009
Selling Buying Ryan answered:
I agree with all of you. All the parties involved get a good Real Estate Attorney!

My assumption is that the owner seller funds some money or hit the jackpot in the Lottery and wants to keep the property.
There is no Law, that says Seller or Buyer can’t cancel any escrow, but they do have to face the consequences if that ends up in court.
Since you had Short-Sale, and buyers loan approval and all contingencies where removed, just before closing, is that what happen?
The seller could be liable for Escrow Charges, Selling and Buyer Agent, Commissions and miscellanies Expenses.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 15, 2008
Michelle Dolon answered:
Hi Jitin,

If you haven't already decided on an agent, I'd love to talk with you and understand exactly what your needs are. I specialize in working with first-time buyers and helping them fully understand the buying process. I believe in working hard and dedicating myself completely to make sure my clients find exactly what they are looking for, and get the support they deserve.

I have a lot of great information for first-time buyers on my website - Please check it out and give me a call at 310-570-9231 or email me at if I can help.

Take Care,
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 4, 2008
Selling Buying Ryan answered:
In this crazy, changing Real Estate Market, the seller needs all the help they can get from a professional Realtor to get the property sold. It takes a lot of creativity in these days, its not a question of saving the commission, it’s a question of paying more commission to get other Realtors interested in selling the property.
It’s all about getting multiple offers to the table, drive the price up and accept the best qualified buyers offer.

I am available and happy to help home-owners get their Family-Home sold!
Visit my web-site and see what I have to offer.
Any one can sell a property, but closing escrow is an art!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice