Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rentals in New York : Real Estate Advice

  • All4K
  • Local Info426
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling216
  • Market Conditions93

Activity 546
Sun Dec 20, 2015
My NC Homes Team answered:
Trulia is not in real estate and has nothing to do with any of the properties you see posted here. Trulia is an online advertising platform and nothing else. You're best bet is to look up Reatlors/Property managers who handle rentals in the area hat you are interested in and contact them directly. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 7, 2015
Sensi91 answered:
Hi Keya did you ever get help? in the same predicament and cant find a broker. if you got thru can you tell me what the process is or was? appreciation in advance
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 27, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Although ALL realtors can work with HRA and one shot deals, the issue is the commission paid to the realtors is not enough for them to work with people on vouchers, HRA or one shot deals. Therefore, since realtors don't work for free, they avoid these programs. If they were paid the going rate, I guarantee they would all work with HRA and one shot deals, but unfortunately, the commission pay is not much. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Nov 23, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Agents don't work with people on voucher programs because the commission paid is too low. You need to get your name on the waiting list for NYC Housing. There's a housing project on Williamsbridge Rd & Waring Ave. in the Bronx. The office is at Bronxood Ave. across from Columbus High School.

When you can afford to pay full price rents, then agents will be happy to help you. Why should we help somebody whose voucher pays 70% of the full price rent?
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Nov 17, 2015
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
You'd be better off speaking with a local NY agent .

Some landlords may be more lenient than others. If your income doesn't qualify you for the rent, you might be asked to have a co-signer. There are several possibilities.

Some landlords in NYC (not sure where you're looking to rent in NY) require the tenant to show an income of 40 times the monthly rent......some may not have that requirement.

Since your fiancee was working off the books, that doesn't help, so only your income may be considered.

Best wishes...........
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 6, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
You need to rent in the nearby suburbs instead of within New York City. Much cheaper & the suburbs have excellent public transportation into the city. In the suburbs you won't need a roommate. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 25, 2015
Eleanorj.johnson786 answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 9, 2015
Amelia Robinette answered:
A processing fee isn't unusual, but sounds like it's pretty high. You can ask them to waive the fee, or negotiate it down. at the very least, it should be clear why they're charging it.
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 24, 2015
Chahir_hasna asked:
I have section 8 voucher, and I am looking for 2 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, Queen in New York. Help please .
Thanks .
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 17, 2015
Christopher Pagli answered:
A written agreement should be in place prior to taking any renter out. If people understand what their obligation to you is upfront and agree then they can be held accountable with a written agreement.

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 12, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Your budget is low for Washington Hts. Expand your search area - try Riverdale in the Bronx, Yonkers (easy Metro North to Grand Central) - all along the Hudson River. Also try the East Side - Queens, in the Bronx (Pelham Parkway near White Plains Rd., Throgs Neck - some places you need a bus to the subway,)
Research Westchester County too - New Rochelle, Mamaroneck - near Metro North stations & budget friendly.
You will need a local real estate agent to access rentals in Westchester - but guess what - NO FEES - yes you read that right - the landlords pay the broker fees - not you.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 10, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
It will be difficult. You need to understand that Section 8 & all other government programs require landlords and building owners to meet specific requirements in order to accept Section 8. It's too expensive and too much of a hassle so landlords refuse. Also landlords know they can get regular renter's to pay full price rent with no work involved.
You can try & search there.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 10, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 1, 2015
Josehasing answered:
Does anyone know the penalty of showing apartments without a real estate licensce and collecting deposits and commissions? Is this illegal?
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 28, 2015
Iamkent answered:
Mon Jul 27, 2015
Alberto Valentin answered:
I can I help the community if I am looking for apt to reant that as the program hasa.i am mr alberto valentin .in I am 56yearold man I being looking for apt for 6year.if someone can help me ./P/ help me this is my number 3472472901 /P/ call me .I will like to live on Washington heights. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jul 2, 2015
Alberta.marshall1965 answered:
Mon Jun 22, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I retired from real estate so let me explain the process. You are correct about the agents & brokers. The issue is landlords who have available rentals don't advertise if they accept Section 8, HASA or some other government funding. Landlords only want renter's who can pay market rate rents (Ex: for 1 bedroom - $1500. per month. Landlords will accept HASA IF you can pay the extra $400. per month out of your own pocket. As for agents & brokers, they want a guarantee that they will get paid & some landlords will refuse. Renter's are required to sign an agreement that states you (the renter) will pay your agent the commission earned upon signing a lease. Most renter's on Section 8, HASA, etc. don't have the cash to pay their agent, therefore, agents refuse to work with renter's who have vouchers like yours. Further, many agencies claim they will pay the agent & don't, so the tenant has to pay.

My suggestion is to move to the Bronx. There are many rentals within your budget. Also there is the Pelham Parkway Housing which is owned by NYC. Nice area & you can get a 1 bedroom.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice