Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in New York : Real Estate Advice

  • All4K
  • Local Info433
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling221
  • Market Conditions94

Activity 28
Fri Jan 27, 2017
Bjkearns916 asked:
Tue Jan 3, 2017
Jonathan Lahey answered:
Do you have a friend Agent who can assist you making a discission? Its a big help help if you have..
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 25, 2016
Kblauser21 answered:
Do you own the rooftop? If so, then you just need to hire an architect. If there's a HOA or other board then you will need their approval as well!
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 14, 2016
Andrew Simmons answered:
I would try finding a company that your friends and family suggest. Asking people you trust who they would recommend should help you find the right company for you.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 6, 2016
Andrew Simmons answered:
The cost for different location are different because depends on the market prices that which country have which prices in construction. You can consult a agent which help you to construct your house. I will suggest you one >>>> Asanduff company Provid best best construction services. You can go for it. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 21, 2015
123123214 asked:
Do you use renovation estimate ?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 26, 2015
Steve Riddle answered:
you will be filing an alt 2 directive 14, No change of use. The filing is conducted by a expediter under the contractor/ Engineer or Architect of record.
You may contact me by clicking on my picture, Ill try to answer your questions in a more private fashion. typically while your share ownership increases your tax and charge liability do in concert as well. Depending on the unit partition layout, you might be able to subrogate common area as well and gain even more sq footage.
You may contact me by clicking on my picture, Ill try to answer your questions in a more private fashion
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 12, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Be mindful that costs vary, therefore why not simply contact a few local licensed contractors for free estimates based on your needs.
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 25, 2014
Alex Aberle answered:
Hi Todd,

This is a tricky question that has several answers. The short answer is to sell as-is. You most likely won't recoup the money you spend to renovate the kitchen and the bathroom. Additionally, you're moving out, and your design taste is no longer relevant. I have had clients spend a fortune updating the bathroom before selling, only to have the new owner come in and completely renovate the bathroom again! Definitely heed some suggestions from below, including making sure everything is sparkling clean.

Any minor updates you may be able to make, while not spending a lot of money, may help the apartment to show better. Common tactics include removing all clutter from counters, repainting, rearranging (or temporarily removing) furniture if it could help make a space look larger. A seasoned real estate professional can walk you through the process of helping make the best of an outdated kitchen/bathroom. Overall, it definitely won't be a hindrance when trying to sell.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions about selling/buying/renovating!


Alex Aberle
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Citi Habitats
114 Perry Street
New York, NY 10014

C. 917.691.9093
O. 212.400.2500
... more
0 votes 27 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 29, 2014
John Reeves answered:
Check here .. for info ..
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 3, 2014
jamesone1 answered:
Thanks everyone. To give more color, my current full bathroom is only accessible from living room (entrance is near my bedroom door, but not officially en-suite). The second bathroom that debating would also have it's only entrance from my living room. Not sure if this changes answers at all..... ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 21, 2013
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
I kind of think the poster probably made that decision already - considering this question was asked in April of 2011!!!
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
Great question. while I am not an expert on this subject, I am sharing links to some useful info and research that I found.
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
some cosmetic renovations, like painting the walls, may not require a board approval but tearing down a wall and new floors will definitely require a board approval. Each coop has its own form alteration agreement that has to be signed before any work begins, it specifies in what time/days of the week work can be performed, then either the management company or an owner has to send notice to tenants about upcoming renovation and possible noise, etc... Each coo has its own rules how they handle renovation and what specific steps need to be taken prior. You best source of information would be your property manager. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 1, 2013
Jamie Bravo answered:
Your architect should know the specifications required. The New York Building Department will definitely be able to assist you. This is the link to NYC Code Enforcement . The NYC Buidling Department link is .

I hope the links above are helpful.

Jamie Bravo
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Bond New York
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 27, 2013
lukechase432 answered:
I think your decision for taking small stove is quite good. It may add good looks to your kitchen areas. All moms are just finding it easy to carry it anywhere when they want it .Getting a big fridge can become a cool summer decision.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Compass Inspectors , Anthony Cioppa answered:
You can get a building permit by yourself in New York depending on municipality. If you are any were in the five boroughs I would recommend using a permit expediting company for the permit process. The New York City Department of building is difficult to navigate and items can be overlooked. If you are hire an architect to file on your behalf start at the local building department and ask who submits a lot of drawing to them. They typically will not recommend someone but steer you in the right direction.
If your engineer issued drawings you can use them to file for your permitting process. In addition some towns or counties do not allow work to be self- performed you must be a licensed contractor. Putnam county NY requires a licensed electrical contractor to perform any type of electrical work. I would get in touch with current engineer and send a letter of nonperformance and copy the state licensing board if he does not respond. I would give the engineer time to respond prior to sending letter to the state so you have a chance to recover some funds.
Find us

Like us friend us on face book

See us
Find us

Like us friend us on face book
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 24, 2012
Geraldine (Geri) Ruby answered:
FHA203k are fantastic loans that give buyers the opportunity to buy handyman properties which are usually discounted + have the opportunity to add in new appliances. The way to get an FHA203k is to find a mortgage broker or financial institution that writes those types of loans.

Geri DeWitt Ruby
RE/MAX Moniesworth Realty
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 15, 2012
Upperwest1978 answered:
Just spoke to the management company and they said we are not allowed to add a balcony :(
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 29, 2011
Yuriy Goldstein answered:
Check with your town building department if they have any VOC law. Then find the paint with lower VOC than the law required.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice