Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in New York : Real Estate Advice

  • All4K
  • Local Info424
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling215
  • Market Conditions93

Activity 16
Nancyrloyd, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Sun Dec 4, 2016
Nancyrloyd asked:
Marlene_rodr…, Home Buyer in Albany, NY
Sat Oct 22, 2016
Marlene_rodriguez asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Andrew Simmo…, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Thu Sep 29, 2016
Andrew Simmons answered:
It is sat-sun you didn't even know that?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
June Buerkle, Home Buyer in Chattanooga, TN
Thu Jun 16, 2016
June Buerkle answered:
Talk to an insurance agent.

You will have to buy a Vacant Tenant Policy or perhaps even a policy for Home Construction.

If there is a structure .... there can be a policy ..... but it must be paid upfront and it is more expensive. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Jonathan Lah…, Real Estate Pro in Potomac, MD
Sun Feb 7, 2016
Jonathan Lahey of The Lahey Group answered:
Usually rest days falls on Saturday and Sunday :)
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Lombkslow, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Thu Jul 9, 2015
Lombkslow answered:
claim was made on the alleged authentication
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
dploves2sell…, Real Estate Pro in Woodbury, NY
Mon Nov 24, 2014
dploves2sellhomes answered:
Some time has passed since this was posted, but I suggest you find a State Farm Office and get a quote from them. My rates were reduced tremendously.
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Kiraha, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Wed Sep 17, 2014
Kiraha asked:
I watched HGTV plus they had this hardwood which was versatile. It appeared as if a lot of little square-tile installed to some support that was versatile. Does anybody understand these's…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mark Fisher, Real Estate Pro in Bronx, NY
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Mark Fisher answered:
I recommend Marissa at MAR Insurance, great service and great rates!

Mar Insurance Brokerage, LLC
Serving the Community since 1954
800 Westchester Avenue
Suite S634
Rye Brook, NY 10573
Phone: 718-824-8181
Main Phone: 914 733-3607
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Chief, Home Buyer in New York
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Chief answered:
As I am a foreigner, hence it seems not all insurance companies are willing to take up the policy. I am currently with Foremost, but would like to know about the insurance policies under a LLC.

So of if there are any good recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Therese L Ko…, Real Estate Pro in Bayside NY 11361, NY
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Therese L Korahais answered:
Hi Rubina, congratulations. I have referred many clients and customers to Ralph ALLSTATE INSURANCE 718-352-8080. Usually your coop management/ board requires a certain amount of insurance, but if they didn't ask for a paid receipt before closing-yours may not have the requirement. The management carries a blanket insurance for structure, common areas, etc. etc. You should have just for your apartment in case of damage caused by you to other units,(bathroom overflows and damages the lower unit, etc. etc). Ask Ralph-should be approx $200.00-$350.00 a year.depending on how old the building (piping, electrical) square footage, contents, etc,etc, Let me know how it works out for you. Terry K 718-614-3167 or email ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Alen Moshkov…, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Tue Jun 14, 2011
Alen Moshkovich answered:
Hi Ushamir,

Are you talking about an actual house or an apartment? In apartments they quote usually by bedroom count, and a one bedroom apartment would be way under $200 a year. House would obviously be more, but shouldn't be by much. I have someone who does my insurance at AllState if you like the contact #.

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Bill Eckler, Real Estate Pro in Venice, FL
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Bill Eckler answered:
Ooops....Thanks Spirit!

0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Rob,  in New York, NY
Fri Jan 21, 2011
Rob answered:
In 90% of co-ops the co-op's insurance only covers incidents originating from and/or affecting - the common elements of the building. Assuming both of the units involved in this leak belong to individual owners - and assuming the toilet back-up was caused within the privately held space - the co-op's insurance would not apply. It may apply if the back-up was caused by defects in the common area plumbing. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Robin Silver…, Real Estate Pro in Garden City, NY
Wed Feb 10, 2010
Robin Silverberg answered:
Mitchell, it is only in the last few months that I have been getting commitments for borrowers that ask for them to get an HO6 policy. I had never seen it before. They ask for them to have it, but do not escrow for it. Also, the managing agents generally give the insurance for no charge, but charge for the condo or co-op questionnaire unless the bank will accept the generic one that they have. Some also charge for the financials, which the listing agent should get from the seller up-front, according to what I learned in a seminar that I had to take with agents when I worked for another company. It always makes the agent look good when I can tell my borrower that the agent saved them money.
Also, an interesting thing that you might want to know is that one of the major co-op lenders who would not take a new questionnaire if the building is on their list is now asking for a questionnaire if it was over 30 days since they reviewed one.
The reason I mentioned about the high end buildings is because they are the ones that I find are the strictest on debt ratio. I did learn my lesson though years back when I got someone approved with a back end of over 50, but the co-op board turned them down. Now I always ask them to have their agent check.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Herman, Other/Just Looking in Long Island City, NY
Fri Aug 21, 2009
Herman answered:
Well, obviously I don't know any details of your home, but look into Pure Insurance, they specialize in coastal homes so they would have strong flood and wind coverage. They write policies in New York. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice