Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Ownership in New York : Real Estate Advice

  • All4K
  • Local Info434
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling222
  • Market Conditions94

Activity 17
Wed May 24, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Attorney fees vary so nobody can advise you as to how much it will cost. Start contacting real estate attorneys (make sure they deal with real estate) and ask them how much their fee is. The issue also has to do with what type of lien you have. Is it a mechanics lien? An IRS lien? A property tax lien? A lender's lien? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jan 14, 2017
CKnyc answered:
If you don't have a pre-nup then you're in trouble .. speak with your attorney. If you do end up having to sell, try to minimize your closing costs (see link below) at least and do a flat fee RLS or agent managed FSBO to avoid the traditional 6% broker fee.

Otherwise, if you get lazy and just call up a traditional broker to do it for 6%, you'll quickly eliminate roughly 1/3 of your home equity and any gains you accumulated over the years.

Good luck!
... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 14, 2017
CKnyc answered:
If you just want to put his name on the stock certificate yes you can do a transfer. Ask your real estate attorney it should be straightforward.

If you are asking because you are getting divorced without a pre-nup ... well definitely consult your attorney.

If you do need to sell, definitely make sure you cut down on your closing costs by doing a flat fee RLS listing or agent managed FSBO vs paying the standard 6% broker commission. The latter will quickly eliminate 1/3 of your home equity and much of your gains. I recommend working with a local FSBO company like Hauseit if you're in NYC. Good luck!
... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 28, 2016
Soda Phar asked:
Enhanced Insulin Receptors – Insulin gets to be unsuccessful when insulin receptors in muscle cells are rare or when they don't work legitimately. This is called 'insulin resistance.'…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 22, 2016
Sally Grenier answered:
Keep in mind that Trulia is really just a database that pulls info from various sources, such as MLSs (for sale listings) and public records from county assessor's websites. It's possible that your info is wrong at the county level. Usually this happens because work was done on the house that may not have been permitted. You might want to check your county records info and figure out why there is a discrepancy. But beware that this could open a can of worms! (if you or a previous owner had un-permitted work done). But...if it was permitted and it's just an error on their part, then you can get them to correct it....BUT then your taxes will go up!! So...I'd be careful about why you need this info corrected on this particular website. If your home isn't for sale, then it really shouldn't matter. I would just leave it as is. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 28, 2016
June Buerkle answered:
When we rent, we do some things to try and retain good tenants. When they renew their annual lease, we time an upgrade or tenant request with the renewal. One year it might be as new refrigerator, another time new carpet or Re-paint deck, etc. I usually keep it around $500 or so, but have gone higher for good tenants. The repair or item is always tax deductible so it helps me out, but also keeps the tenant happy.

In this case, I would buy the washer and dryer, that way I would own it and can write it off. If you let them buy it and lower the rent to accommodate it, you can't write that off.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Mar 14, 2016
Dean Sandler asked:
My mortgage servicer is Wells Fargo. Soon after I bought my condo, I got a letter from a third-party offering me the biweekly option. I immediately called WF and they offered to do it…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 27, 2014
Joseph Hastings answered:
Hello Janice. I don't work NJ as I'm licensed in NY but here's something to think about. Realtors are not allowed to talk about what is a "decent" area or not. To do so is considered discriminatory and NY State law prohibits it. I do agree with Ms. Gordon in that you should work with a realtor who is familiar with the area(s) you may have interest to buy in.

I will say this, in Queens you might consider a Coop as a first time buyer. They are much less expensive than Condominiums of the same size. A Condo would be upwards of $100K + to a similarly sized Coop. Statistically, first time buyers will sell/move foward with their lives after roughly 5-7 years and as were currently in a sellers market, property appreciation will be slow in coming. You could most likely find a Coop deal in Brooklyn if you would like to stay there.

Good luck in whatever you decide. If I may be of assisstance, please feel free to contact me. Just click on my photo and hit "contact me." Best.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 6, 2013
Christopher Pagli answered:
Yes you can, just call any insurance company, most offer home insurance. They will ask questions about the property in question that may qualify you for discounts.

0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Olga Friedman answered:
Contact your insurance agent a few months before your insurance expires to make sure your insurance will be renewed. If you need a recommendation for an insurance agent, please email me.

Olga Friedman, Esq.
Real estate attorney
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Nyc4free? asked:
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Mirza Shafique answered:
Of course that's false. Depends on the case.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 10, 2013
John W. Chang, MBA, Broker answered:
The following persons or groups might have a copy to your deeds:
-County or city clerk
-Attorney at time of closing
-Bank, especially if you have a pending mortgage
-Land registry

Non-official offers would seem fishy if you were requested. ACRIS is the system used in New York City and is free to use.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 27, 2013
Joseph Hastings answered:
You're asking about the price of an installation for a house in California and you're asking brokers in New York. Am I missing something here?
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 5, 2013
Yul Park answered:

Yes please consult an attorney. I have one I can recommend who has helped many clients of mine in the past. His contact info is below mine. Please tell him I referred you. Thanks.

Yul Park
Vice President
Cell: 917-647-2717
Fax: 646-537-2626
RES Sales and Marketing Corp.
320 West 37th Street, Suite 301
New York, NY 10018

Anthony S. Park PLLC
250 West 57th Street
Suite 1619
New York, New York 10107
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Zulutun answered:
Thank you Joseph and Anna for reply. we bought apt and May and did rennovation to the apt. We moved in July. On Sept maintenance bill, we saw that there was previous balance amount of $400. We were unaware of why we had a previous balance amount until we called the number on the bill and I was informed that the amount was for fines assessed for various infractions. In our opinion we should not be issued with any fines as we were never notified (neither verbally nor in writing) when our contractor committed the first infraction. We should have received a written notice of the first fine that we were being assessed. We only learned about fines when we happened to see the President of the Board in the Lobby of the building and she then mentioned them to us. we were in contact with management during the whole period of renovation and they did not once mentioned about the fines. Nov, they put on another $500, we only fond it on Jan bill. Now when I question management they have not reply. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 31, 2012
Phoward@crrnyc.ocm answered:
If the co-op Board already approved the deal, then it seems to me, it is a deal. Unless there are rules allowing management to do this, which I doubt, it sounds like they are trying to trick you into paying fees, and having a chance to get more if the get their hands on the rent. I would speak to attorney. After he studies it, the attorney or you may want to speak to the Board. You should already be able to give the tenant the key and have them move in. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Search Advice