Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Gramercy Park : Real Estate Advice

  • All38
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying12
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 22
Sat Oct 18, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Ask your agent about any necessary clarifications; co-op ownership represents an interest (i.e. stock) in realty; condo ownership is actual ownership of realty. Condominium ownership is, for most practical purposes, only one form of cooperative housing and, like the co-op, must include provisions for management and maintenance of the building(s) and common areas, usually dictated by an elected Board of Managers, in the case of a condominium, and a Board of Directors in the case of a co-op. ... more
2 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 18, 2014
Alana B asked:
Sat Jan 11, 2014
Christopher Pagli answered:
Mon Dec 16, 2013
Florin Hoxha answered:
Rentals range from $50-80/SqFt per year. This is the median range and it really depends on exact location, building type (luxury vs walk up), unit renovations, floor, and renovations. It also depends on whether you are renting in the summer months (higher price) vs the winter months (typically lower prices) ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 18, 2013
shahar genefar answered:
I can find you an apartment anywhere on that block or area
contact me
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 24, 2013
Catherine Andrusenko answered:
Dear Amy,

I employ an amazing platform, that allows my clients search the available properties on their own time. Setting up the criteria profile will only take you a couple of minutes and you are able to search listings, explore the sales history in the particular building and see more property details than any other website will provide. Here is the link:

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions regarding purchasing in Manhattan.

(347) 878-8193
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 4, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Hi there, I would recommend checking out for local insights!

Ali, Community manager
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Fern Hamberger answered:
Hello Maria,
Cash is king and it may win you the sale. And depending on the seller, it may reduce the price
by a few dollars. since paying cash will also reduce the time waiting for the property to close.
However, the sale does not only depend on paying all cash. there are other factors, a seller will consider. I.E. If you are currently residing or even working for an American Company.
If you are Brazilian, does that mean, do you hold a social security number? do you have a job in the US?

Best Regards
Fern Hamberger
Vice President Asso Broker
The Corcoran Group
... more
0 votes 24 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 6, 2012
Amy Rea answered:
Very good question. Seems that question is on the Sealed Lips of the Silent Majority downtown.
Until some barrier in the Ocean can be created to staunch the increasing stormy reaches, that area is going to continue to suffer, because, after all, starting with Battery Park City, there are a FEMA Flood Zones on the water.

Although we can put a man on the moon, and we can drill for sand to replace what wasn't there anymore, there is a FINITE amount of sand, as per the New York Times' SCIENCE section today 11/6/2012. The planet is shifting, is it not? the waters are rising, are they not?

Everyone will pick their battles and decide.

Builders may want to check with the scientists who could predict the future of the lands and seas first before they start building.

Toward the future, if there is a way to make a REALLY SMART BUILDING -- I would have to say that would be one if it faces south, that the southern wall can become a steel face so that it won't be destroyed in the gusts of a real hurricane. Let's be grateful that Sandy the Hurricane was DOWNGRADED to a Level Four Tropical Storm when she blew into town up here.
... more
1 vote 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 25, 2012
Joseph Runfola answered:
A Flip Tax is a tax imposed by the cooperative on the sale of a unit, it is not charged by Astoria bank. The flip tax can be paid by the purchaser, seller, or shared by both parties; but it is customarily paid by the seller. The flip tax is a revenue generating tool used by the cooperative to increase its reserve fund, it is not used by Astoria bank. ... more
2 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 22, 2012
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
when you are buying from a sponsor, you are usually paying transfer tax...not flip tax
flip tax is paid on re-sale transactions, i.e. is triggered after they have been sold by the sponsor and are sold again. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 1, 2011
Jason answered:
thanks to everyone that answered, i spoke to the sub landlord and its his broker who put the ad up. I negotiated the one month fee to $1800, down $700 after I made it abundantly clear that I was very unhappy with the Bait and Switch tactic. Its a great building, great unit, its big, exactly what I was looking for, and they accepted my 30 LB siberian husky.

I don't mind paying someone for their efforts, everyone has to make a living or else we might as well turn to socialism. I told them they should've just been upfront with me, I would've gladly paid the fee for the place. It hurts a bit less after you've seen so many other apts and I wouldn't have had access to the sub landlord without the broker. In the end am i a little pissed still? Yes. Am I going to pay the fee? Yes. Did I get a place thats exactly what I wanted and a 1 min commute to school? Yep.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Mitchell Hall answered:
No, In a coop any change in the proprietary lease including implementing flip tax usually requires a majority or 2/3 vote by shareholders. If the flip tax is based on net profits the coop makes more from the long-term unit owners since they have more equity.

Mitchell Hall, Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 25, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
For any legal advice needed, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; changes would need to be voted in...
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 11, 2011
Vincent Carrieri answered:
i know this answer is about 2 years late but i didnt like any of the answers on saw on here. any flip tax over 3% ajusts your ltv. this is a fannie mae guideline. if your flip tax is more than 3% then your ltv is no longer 80%. any flip taxes under 3% will not effect ltv. lets say your puchasing a 100k home with a 5k flip tax imposed on the seller. you put 20% down on a 100k purchase leaving 80k loan amount. this should avoid pmi however you have take the following into concideration. subtract 5k from purchase price and divide it into the loan amount to figure out your new ltv. 80k/95k=.842 this means your borrowing 84% of the property's value. the reason the value is 95k is because in the event of a forclosure the bank would be responsable to eat the 5k flip tax when they sold it off to recoup their assets. the house may appraise for 100k because others are buying at that, but the house is only worth 95k because it would cost 5k to make that 100k. hope this helps. ... more
1 vote 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 15, 2011
Jeff Brenner, MBA answered:
Hi Allison,

I've collected a bunch of sample "de-personalized" letters for co-op board that may be useful to you or others. Feel free to email me at and request the sample reference letters for a co-op board. I've served on a co-op board for over 10 years, during which time many individuals have transitioned into and off of the board, and consequently have a pretty solid idea of what most are looking for.

Best regards,
Jeff Brenner, MBA
Senior Associate - CitiHabitats | CitiSales
Apartments | Townhouses | Multifamily
Rentals, Sales and Investments
By Referral Only
"Platinum Production Award - 2009" | "Top Rental Production"
"Top Overall Production (Sales + Rentals) Award - 2008"
Mobile 646-496-5333
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 3, 2010
Joseph Runfola answered:
Flip Tax is a tax imposed by a cooperative (co-op) on the sale of a unit within the building. This fee can be based on a percentage of the gross sale, net sale, gain, or the number of shares held by the shareholder or a fixed number determined by the cooperative board. The flip tax can be paid by the purchaser, seller, or shared by both parties, however, custom usually dictates that the seller pay the flip tax. There are several different types of flip taxes, each with its own merits and problems. The choice you make should be the one best adapted to the needs of your building and its shareholders.
Per Share Amount. This is, of course, the most conventional and simplest type of flip tax, and one found acceptable by the Court in the FeBland case. It treats all shareholders equally by imposing a flip tax of a fixed dollar amount per share. However, this method can excessively benefit sellers who bought years ago and paid far less than the current market rate, because they would be taxed the same amount as those who bought more recently at higher prices.
Flat Fee. A second method is to charge a certain flat dollar amount per transaction (e.g., $5,000 per transfer). This method benefits the owners of larger units who pay the same amount as the seller of a studio. It can, however, be the best compromise for a building where all the apartments are relatively similar in size. This form of flip tax, if properly enacted, is also perfectly legal under the amended Section 501(c) of the Business Corporation Law.
Percentage of Sales Price. Another acceptable form of flip tax is a percentage of the gross sale price.
Percentage o f Net Profit. Perhaps the most controversial form of flip tax is one based on net profit. In this case, the cooperative must very carefully define exactly what its formula will be for determining the net profit; and the formula must be strictly and consistently applied. If your formula allows the seller to subtract from the sales price provision for improvements made to the apartment, there will be an incentive to pad costs in order to lower the net profit figure that will form the basis for the flip tax. Evidence of payment of invoices for improvements should be required.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 26, 2010
Robbie Vaughn answered:
You appear to be in need of immediate legal advice; you should consult with an attorney immediately.

Do you have a contract signed by the seller in your possession? If so, then consult with an attorney regarding filing an action for specific performance or damages. This would compel the seller to sell the property to you or pay you $$$. Your recourse will depend on the terms of your contract.

The above is very basic! You need an attorney to conduct a detailed analysis of your situation and advise you accordingly. I really hope you are able to consult with an attorney before your scheduled closing date. Good luck!

Robbie L. Vaughn, Esq.
New York Attorney
Real Estate | Foreclosure Defense |
Bankruptcy | Landlord-Tenant Matters
70 West Main St.
East Islip, NY 11730
631-780-4758 (Phone)
631-930-3235 (Fax)

We are a debt relief agency and a law office that helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.

This is not legal advice.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 24, 2009
Joseph Runfola answered:
Yes, it traditionally has been open for Christmas eve carols. The park was at one time opened to the public on Gramercy Day (which changed yearly, but was often the first Saturday in May). In 2007, the Trustees of Gramercy Park announced that it would no longer open the park on that day, though caroling in the park on Christmas Eve is expected to continue. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 20, 2009
Jenet Levy answered:
Hi, Cathe.
There is no link to your question to show which property you are asking about. Can you provide it? I see you are listed as "Home Buying in Gramercy Park." There are many terrific properties there at very good prices. What specifically are you looking for?

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
(212) 381-4268
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice