Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

New Springville : Real Estate Advice

  • All7
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 5
Wed Jan 11, 2017
Kim Parone answered:
There is a certain amount of square footage required per person in a living space. They are not allowed to discriminate, but they are required by law a certain square footage per person. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Nov 5, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Since you are not the typical Section 8 tenants, the key question is: Can you afford a regular rental that charges more than the Section 8 amount? Example: if your Section 8 voucher is $1268./month for a 2 bedroom, can you afford to pay $2,000./month for a 2 bedroom? Since you both have jobs and excellent credit, this means you can afford a regular rental for more than what Section 8 pays.

Therefore, you are to find a regular rental for an amount that you can afford ABOVE what Section 8 pays. DO NOT tell the landlord or property manager that you have a Section 8 voucher. Let them pull your credit and verify your employmet & income. You want to be approved without the Section 8. Once you are approved, then tell the landlord or property manager that the rent will be partially paid with Section 8 and you will pay the balance from your own income. At this stage, the landlord or property manager can't take back the approval or deny you - they already approved you. Worst case scenario - they could say something nasty or tell you that you should have mentioned the Section 8 earlier in the process. If this happens, tell them you will notify the Housing Authority and file a discrimination lawsuit against them. What will happen is the Housing Authority will send 2 - 3 "testers" - one applicant with a Section 8 voucher and the other applicant without a Section 8 voucher. If the "testers" are discriminated, then the landlord will face consequences.

Good Luck! Just to let you know - what I wrote will not work with the typical Section 8 tenant because most voucher tenants cannot afford to pay the difference in rent and don't have excellent credit.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jan 25, 2013
Arthur.s answered:
Great of you to ask, personally I would hire a certified home inspector. However, keep in mind that the older homes are generally more headaches! There is just so much that can go wrong, make sure you and your home inspector pay extra attention to mold, cracks in the walls, foundation, building type, what materials were used to build the home, roofing, electrical work, paint (can be very dangerous), plumbing, odor's (yes, a smell of a home can give you lots of clues), and what type of heating is used!

You might even want to read up on the history of the area. Think about it, 1920, that's almost 100 years old! Think about how much can happen to an area in 100 years, NY has suffered earth quakes, hurricanes, floods, and so much more! Natural disasters can flood the house and cause serious damage or even shift the entire foundation!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 22, 2012
Amy Liu answered:
If you are referring to Trulia's estimate, it may be incorrect. But again, it is just an estimate. You can report this to Trulia by clicking the "Too high? Too low?" button next to the estimate.

Amy Liu
East Coast Realtors, Inc
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue May 22, 2012
Cindy Cheung answered:
Common changes $240.00 monthly includes: Gas, Hot water, Heat, Pool,Sewer, Water.
Would you like to see the property?
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice