Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

New Haven : Real Estate Advice

  • All119
  • Local Info8
  • Home Buying50
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 133
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Gregorio Denny answered:

Yes it's possible and yes, it's common.

4 ways to pay mortgage insurance
1) Lump sum up front paid cash (or a seller credit)
2) Lump sum rolled into loan amount
3) Absorbed by higher rate (a seller credit could buy the rate back down and effectively pay for it)
4) Paid monthly as part of payment

Any good loan officer can help you determine which works best for you.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 19, 2012
Gillian Goldrich answered:
Hi Raj,

As you can see from all the responses you are getting regarding your housing question for the Yale area, there are many REALTORs who can help you with your search. I am extremely familiar with this area and while I do not work this area exclusively, I have sold and rented many homes, condos and apartments in the area. When chosing a REALTOR you should be looking for a professional, who works full-time and has a good handle on the current market. In CT we have buyer agency, unlike New Jersey. With a Buyer Agent you will have someone who is working on your behalf to help you find your new home and will be able to negotiate the best deal on your behalf. Buyer agency is required by law in our state, so you should expect that you will be asked to sign a buyer agency agreement once you pick your agent. Once you are under the agency agreement you will be required to work with your agent exclusively for the term of your agreement. Take the time to interview agents, and select the one who suits your needs and style the best. The best transactions happen when you have an agent you like and trust. Feel free to contact me with further questions or if you would like to interview me. Thank you. Gillian Goldrich, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage 203-816-5285 - Licensed in CT ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Mina Patel answered:
First of all, if a seller defaults on his or her loan and misses 3 payments, the lender usually starts foreclosure procedures. It seems as though the sellers in this case were in default and you may not have been aware of it, so one of the things the seller can do is try to stop the litigation. In this case you should consult a real estate attorney to advise you and guide you in the right direction.
I recently closed on a property that was in a very similar situation. Depends on how far the litigation process is, the attorney should be able to help you.
Good luck and best wishes.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Maggie Griffin answered:
To be honest - when a home is currently in litigation prodeedings for a strict foreclosure, that means you may have a difficult time to entertain with your bank to sell your home under a phrase called "short sale". What a short sale is - defined as simple as can be, when a home owner wants to avoid strict foreclosure and make an agreement with their bank to sell their home under a short sale based upon specific reasons, such as job loss, divorce, illness, un-employment and even death.

Many who specialize in short sales understand that giving you this advice once the home is already under a litigation for strict foreclosure, the best option is at this point to speak to an attorney to get the advice you need. It is a process, whereas, if you want to avoid a strict foreclosure situation, you may have to work out what is called a mortgage mediation - of which you will need an attorney for. Outside of that, if you are in fact in foreclosure litigation - it may be too late to entertain what is called a short sale. Seek your answer from a real estate attorney.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 10, 2012
Mike Johnson answered:
It can last seemingly forever with regular maintenance and updates.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 9, 2012
Eric Radziunas answered:
At this point, if the home is in Forclosure it would be up the lender as to when they release it for resale. We as agents can only keep an eye out to see when it becomes available. If you are interested I can help with that just let me know.

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 18, 2011
Julie Traver Lucia answered:
Good morning Sharon, I agree with the rest of the posts, you really need to speak with a few bank lenders to way all the options. The interest rates are very low and there are still programs out there for first time home buyers. I would be more than happy to provide you with the names of local banks and assist with your house search. Please feel free to contact me, Julie Lucia, Showcase Realty. 203-578-5631 cell; ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 12, 2011
Matthew Kaman answered:
I hope you were able to make your move into Connecticut. There are many great towns along the shore, and your budget is a large indicator of the best town for you. I hope you have made the best choice! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 2, 2011
Matthew Kaman answered:
You should really set yourself up with an exclusive buyers agent. This agent will then set up all your showings and help facilitate the offer process (when you get that far). Going at it without a buyers agent, is not a great idea. Let the professionals do the work for you, and becasue a buyers agent is paid from the transaction, its no cost to you! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 17, 2011
Emily Erekuff answered:
Hi Kevin,

Your profile currently indicates that you are a home owner, however in order to submit a rental listing to Trulia and manage it, you must be classified on our site as a real estate agent, broker, property manager, or landlord.

If you updated your profile after you submitted these listings to our site, you need only to change it back to one of those options above (landlord if you are renting your own properties) and you should once again have access to these properties within the My Listings section of your account.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us via the methods Laura posted below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 8, 2011
Eric Radziunas answered:
The listing is still active. It is actually listed with my office Weichert Regional Properties.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed May 25, 2011
Cheryl_madden answered:
That house was listed both as a single family house as well as a 2 family (which is used as now). The price is for the home, whether you use it as a single or multi-family. However, the house was withdrawn from the market about a week ago. Happy to help you find something else if you like. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 25, 2011
Gerri Sutfin answered:
Which home were you referring to? Do you have an address, or a price. Then hopefully I can help to answer your question. Thanks, Gerri
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Laura Feghali answered:
Connecticut is a state where attorneys handle drawing up the purchase contracts and the closing documents. Michael, from Minnesota, mentions your deposit being sent to the title company. Some states in the USA have a title company instead of attorneys to handle the documents and oversee the closing. It is the seller's attorney, in this case, that will be receiving your deposit.
And yes, go over the HUD-1 statement with your agent so that you have a better understanding of fees involved.
Hope this clarifies.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 28, 2011
Unknown asked:
Sun Oct 24, 2010
Eric Radziunas answered:
I agree with the other answers, you definitely should talk to you r lender. I did have a similar situation and we rewrote the contract, but we lowered the price of the home to reflect the cost of the repairs. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 26, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Consider asking your question again and be more specific--not sure your question is understood.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Gina Storeholder answered:

I would fax and email the documents to every person and department you have contact information for. The more, the merrier!!! Not sure if it will speed things up or not, but it definitely won't hurt! I hope the process is moving smoothly for you.

Gina Storeholder
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 19, 2010
Elizabeth Herbert answered:
Do you have a social security number and a type of residency? I would advise my clients in a situation similar to yours to speak with their attorney.

I am a member of FIABCI/International Real Estate Federation so if I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me at ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search Advice