Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Property Q&A in New City : Real Estate Advice

  • All52
  • Local Info6
  • Home Buying26
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions4

Activity 17
Mon Feb 20, 2017
Angelica P answered:

I have emailed you regarding this concern.

Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2014
billing asked:
This question was asked from this property:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 13, 2013
George Ferguson answered:
If you e-mail me at , I will send you the name and can also send names/address of other neighbors if you need them. You can also see information on properties offered for sale at ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Vesna Kanacki answered:
Yes you can grieve your taxes, Grievance day is the third thursday in May but the Assessors office starts accepting paperwork May 1 st .

If you purchased a home, you will have an appraisal from your bank, if you obtained a mortgage, that will be a key factor in lowering your assessment, you will also need comps from other homes as yours with you can find on the assessors website on the tax roll. There are also services that people use to lower their assessment, usually it doesn't cost you anything up front, they file for you, if the service is successful in getting the reduction, they keep THAT years reduction as their fee, and you enjoy it there after, there are no more strings attached. Realtors are not tax professionals or attorneys, these are suggestions to get you to the true source. Good Luck!

Please don't forget to register for the S T A R exemption, very important you do that to obtain future savings.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 9, 2013
Vesna Kanacki answered:
Of course you may, give me a call on my Cell 917-414-8736 to set up the appt
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun May 6, 2012
Dawn Barclay answered:
To find comps, many things factor in. Number of bedrooms and bathrooms, acreage, improvements, as well as year built and square footage. I don't know if they'd consider a bank appraisal since they do their own.

Here is some information that might help, put out by our company, Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty:

Understanding The Property Tax Grievance Process

Most people think that the property tax grievance process is complicated. It’s not. It only requires you to do a bit of research, fill out a form, and write a supporting letter, and get all your paperwork submitted by your municipality’s deadline. Here is a brief (and somewhat simplified) overview of that process.

The Assessment

People sometimes think that their property taxes are set by their assessor. That’s not the case. Your municipality’s assessor does not determine your property taxes. Rather, the assessor’s role is only to determine what the market value is for your property by performing what is essentially the same sort of comparable sales analysis that a real estate agent or appraiser conducts when determining the value of your home when you are buying or selling.

Once the assessor has determined your market value, the assessor then calculates your assessed value, which is a simple mathematical calculation that multiples the market value by a predetermined Uniform Percentage of Value set by the state. The purpose of the Uniform Percentage of Value (“UPV”) is to provide a standardized assessment calculation to ensure that every property receives an equitable assessment. So, for example, if the UPV is 40%, and your market value is $500,000, your assessed value would be $200,000 ($500,000 times 40%). If your neighbor’s home has a market value of $400,000, her assessed value would be $160,000 ($400,000 times 40%).

The Assessment Roll

Once the assessor has determined the assessed value of all the properties in a municipality, the assessor’s office will publish what’s called the “roll,” which is a comprehensive listing of all properties, their determined market value, and their assessed value. For most municipalities, the roll is published in the first week of May, a few weeks before grievance applications are due. You can get the roll by going to your local municipality, and in some cases online. You can check on after May 1 for links to your local roll publication.

The purpose of the roll is to provide property owners with fair notice to prepare their grievances once they see the assessor’s determination of their market and assessed value. Again, the roll does not state your property taxes, but provides the market value and assessed value upon which your taxes will be based.

Researching Grounds for a Grievance

Once you know the market value determined by the assessor, you can decide whether you have grounds for filing a complaint about your assessment. Technically, property owners can make four distinct claims for a grievance, including situations where the property is improperly classified (i.e., it’s not commercial property, it’s residential) or exempt from taxation (i.e., it’s a church or school). But the main grievance situation for most homeowners involves the basic complaint that the property is subject to an “Unequal Assessment” because owners of comparable properties have received lower assessments and thus will pay lower taxes.

Essentially, a claim of “Unequal Assessment” boils down to this: you contend that the assessor over-estimated the market value of your property, leading to an inflated assessment value, resulting in your having a higher assessment than other owners of comparable properties. In order to prove that claim, you need to show that the market value of your property is actually lower than the assessor’s determination.

If your review of your property’s market value demonstrates that the assessor’s determination of your market value was too high, then you have solid grounds for filing a grievance petition. (much more to follow, was cut off because of space constraints)

Much more here...

Dawn M. Barclay
Associate Broker, BH&G Rand Realty, New City
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Marcella Riggs answered:
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 14, 2010
-J- answered:
Thanks for all the comments. Based on what I've been reading from this site and other resources, purchasing an existing home is probably the way to go in this market.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 11, 2010
Diane S Mitchell answered:
Drake, It has not yet sold - it is currently showing a status of "Temporarily Off Market" and has been in various states of Under Contract, Active, & Temporarily Off Market for a while now. Let me know how I can assist you in your search for a home in the Rockland County area. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 14, 2009
Vesna Kanacki answered:

Are you still looking to purchase in Rockland County? This house is not available any longer, but it was in the Clarkstown School District, and taxes here are approx 10,000 - 12,000 depending size of house/acreage.
I would be happy to show some possibilities?

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Nov 14, 2009
Vesna Kanacki answered:
Hi Clara,

I do think you will need to have someone co sign with you. Do you have that option?

Weichert Realtors
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 2, 2009
Vesna Kanacki asked:
out of 8 years to recieve a tax credit of $6,500, would that encourage sellers to make a move, either upsize or downsize?

Current owners would have to sell their current home, and be…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 13, 2009
Kathleen Puder answered:
LOVE LAKE LUCILLE!!! I always have!! This is a great area. Have you been inside the house?
Do you want to?

Kathleen Puder
Associate Broker
Joyce Realty
845-304-4838 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 11, 2009
Kevin Cavanaugh answered:
Jennifer, there is no garage.


Kevin Cavanaugh
Broker Associate, ABR
Better Homes and Gardens - Rand Realty
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Lynda Kearney answered:
Hi guys,
I see you already got the answer that this home is in the East Ramapo district. If I can assist you in anyway going forward with purchasing a new home, please contact me directly for a stress-free "fun" experience.
Lynda Kearney
914-980-2000 direct
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Property Q&A in New City Zip Codes