Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Nassau County : Real Estate Advice

  • All146
  • Local Info9
  • Home Buying81
  • Home Selling8
  • Market Conditions6

Activity 1,885
Thu Apr 27, 2017
NewGuy asked:
Hello all quick question I have a approved Certificate of Completion for an enclosed porch/ sun room converted from a rooftop patio. The room has electric in it and no plumbing. If I decide…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 26, 2017
Scott Godzyk answered:
The listing agent that uploaded them has to edit the ad they placed on this and similar sites. Once something is loaded onto the world wide web, it is here for ever. However you can remove it from the ad if you are the one who placed it. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 24, 2017
Ronit answered:
price range for what specifically?

Ronit, Agent
Coldwell Banker
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 17, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
This is NY - sorry but rental apartments do not include utilities. You will need to pay them separately. In addition, most landlords will not accept pets because it's a liability insurance issue.

Your best method is to pay for a separate pet insurance policy. It's expensive but you will find it easier to rent because it tells landlords that if anything happens, your insurance policy will pay for it. You need to understand that landlords and property owners refuse to pay for pet insurance and their standard insurance policies do not include pets.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 14, 2017
Stafford Perkins asked:
Wed Apr 12, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
No. Asking the question should be free. I'm a former realtor in the New York City suburbs and flip tax charges are on the listing sheet so buyers are aware of it when they view the listing. Realtors do call maanagement when they sign a listing agreement with the seller to verify the flip tax amount, so even the listing agent knows the amount. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 10, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Your agent or somebody should have explained to you about the New York State STAR program. New York State allows homeowners to receive a portion of the school tax paid in the form of a rebate / refund. Even though the current owner's veteran tax exemption won't apply to you, you should be eligible for the STAR rebate.

If you cannot afford the property tax after STAR, you can use the financing contingency in your contract to back out and walk away. Hopefully you do have a financing contingency. To use this, you will need a letter from your lender stating that you do not qualify and financing is withdrawn.

My question is are you working with a realtor? I'm surprised your agent failed to question the property tax amount. Agents are well aware of what typical property tax amounts should be and if they are lower, it most likely includes exemptions that only apply to the homeowner - not the buyer. New York State has exemptions for military, senior citizens and disabled. Unless you are in this category, the buyer will see the property taxes increase to full amount. Tell your agent, he/she did not do their job.

If you can't afford this house and need to walk away, start fresh with a new strategy. You will need to search for lower priced houses so you can factor in the property tax amount. Unfortunately in the NYC suburbs, buyers need to sacrifice and unless you have a billion dollar bank account, focus on buying a home that meets most of your needs - not all of them. As a former realtor, I've seen buyers who had to sacrifice a house and buy a condo or a co-op instead.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 9, 2017
Ari asked:
I've been renting a home for the past 7 years and my landlord just told me that the house will be a short sale. Landlord is asking me if I would be interested in buying it which I am.…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 29, 2017
Angelica P answered:

To post a room for rent on Trulia, please follow these steps:

From the Trulia homepage, hover your mouse over the 'Rent' tab.
Click 'Post Your Rental Listing' at the bottom of the drop down.
Under 'Post a room', enter your address and click 'Continue' (if you click 'Post a home or apt', you will be redirected to our partner site, Zillow Rental Manager).
Follow the rest of the prompts to add specific listing information.
Once you click 'Publish', the listing will appear on Trulia within 1 hour.

Please note the listing will show on Trulia and also our partner brand, HotPads.

Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Mar 29, 2017
Kaitlyn Walker asked:
Every time I've called about a property the rental has already been rented. My question is why do they remain on the site so long after they've been rented? It's very hard…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 27, 2017
Alan May answered:
Thu Mar 23, 2017
Bonnie Salsone asked:
You need to get the rental products correct. Remove immediately
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 20, 2017
Susie Kay answered:
Mon Mar 20, 2017
Jim asked:
Sun Mar 19, 2017
Doug Blank answered:
I am interested in possibly renting, when is it coming on the market?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 9, 2017
Sharmron asked:
Wed Mar 8, 2017
Neetu Bharara answered:
Are you the owner? I am interested in renting from July. where is the house located?
how many bedrooms and bath does it have?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice