Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Multnomah County : Real Estate Advice

  • All4
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 18
Mon Jan 30, 2017
Nunupupu4 asked:
I want to move out of my mom's into an apartment by myself. I make $11 an hour. My paycheck ranges from $550-$660 every other week. So a monthly total of about $1200. I have $11,000…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 22, 2016
Christine.woods32 answered:
What does you lease agreement say concerning this issue? If your rental contract states nothing, then here is what I know. If tenant has lived in a unit for several years, painting should be done at the landlord’s expense, not the tenant’s.
And if you want to get the security deposit in full, follow tips in the article (link is attached).
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 9, 2016
Grishapdx asked:
Fri Dec 5, 2014 answered:
I have used and love it. It is an online tenant screening service with great customer service and quick results. They have different screening packages. I like the Ultimate package that includes a credit history, SSN verification, National Eviction Search and National Criminal Search. The package is only $29.99! ... more
6 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 28, 2014
Gmarcum17 answered:
Here is another SCAM I received from a rental Inquiry. I wonder if Trulia does any research on these listings? Otherwise, you are no better than Craigslist and a waste of time. This is the third one I had received from inquiring about rental properties. Just wanted to give a heads up to people who are TRULY looking for place and not waste their time on this site.

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. The house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that i am not around. I moved to West Africa for a program called HEALTH RESOURCES AND SERVICES ADMINISTRATION( HRSA), the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be away for 2 to 3 years or more that is why i decided to put the house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.
In case you see any sign board, they are the Realtor in charge of my house before I decided to take over by my self. I am no more working with them and don't bother to contact them because formerly i wanted to sell the house before me and my Lovely Family now decided to rent it out instead of selling it out.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?


Electric Range,
Electric Heat,
Master Bedroom,
Car Park.


Air Conditioning
Patio/Party Deck
Cable TV, Ceiling Fans
24 hours Internet service
Garbage Disposal
security alarm
Pets Friendly
Washer / Dryer.


Number of bedrooms:3

Number of bathrooms:2

House Address:2127 N Skidmore Ter, Portland, OR 97217

Month Rent: $800

Refundable Security Deposit: $700

Get back to me if interested so i can forward you the rental application form for you to fill out.

contact me @ 0112348101652811


Steven Lanigan
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 18, 2014
Dan Tabit answered:
On the rental listing itself is a FLAG button, please use it on this and any others you come across. Scams are common on any site that allows anyone to post a rental. Please read the warning attached below. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 3, 2014
Michael Brownstead answered:
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Shea McGrath answered:
Please check out our website at about thirty days prior to your move date to see what we have available at that time.

Feel free to contact us anytime with questions or to schedule viewings. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Shea McGrath answered:
Please check out our website at to see if we have any homes for rent that may fit your needs. Feel free to contact us anytime with questions or to schedule a viewing of any of our available properties for rent. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Tom Inglesby answered:
Check on Craigs list and check out in person don't send any money as deposit. Our market is very tight. Good Luck, Tom Inglesby, Broker
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 25, 2013
Greg Perkins answered:
A contractor in Oregon does not have a duty to report mold issues to anyone in particular. As far as breaking your lease, you should first become familier with ORS 90, landlord/Tenant rights and responsibilities. Specifically ORS 90.730. Here is the link to the State statute.

Mold is not part of the requirements, however this wouldn't prohibit you from putting the Landlord on notice that Mold in your home is becoming a health problem. Then you will see where they stand.

I can not provide Legal advice, therefore this is merely a starting place for you to begin your research. If you would like further advice I suggest you contact a Real Estate Attorney.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Joyce Zilai answered:
Residential Property Management is here in Portland and work with people who are looking for a rental and people who have property to rent. Give Bob Johnson at call at 503-245-8022 or check their web site. Please let them know I referred you. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Tom Inglesby answered:
Most of the time you are required to commerically clean the carpets when you move or be charged for it. Lease are for one year find out the buy out if you want to leave sooner. Good luck to you.Tom Inglesby, Broker ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 26, 2011
Diane Moreau answered:
Ask your Landlord for a smoke detector or at the very least pick one up yourself.
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 17, 2011
Don Tepper answered:
As Diane suggests, consult with Legal Aid.

I don't know the regulations pertaining to Portland and I'm not a lawyer, so take with a grain of salt what follows. Still . . .

1) It's possible for the city to declare the apartment you're living in to be in non-compliance with its regulations. In a case like that, they'd typically go after the owner, requiring the owner to cease renting the noncompliant unit. So, while they wouldn't be evicting you, the end result would be the same. You'd have to move. It doesn't matter whether you pay your own electric, phone, cable, etc. The question is whether the apartment can legally be rented as a separate room. And I don't know the answer to that.

2) It's probably legal for a landlord to charge rent for an illegal unit. And while ignorance of the law is no excuse, maybe he thought the unit was legal. And you apparently thought it was, too. And, after all, it's his property. More to the point, if you find out it's a noncompliant unit--no, you can't stay there and not pay rent. If I were the owner and the city told me that I couldn't rent the basement apartment, I'd get you out as quickly as the law allowed. After all, he'd be continuing to break the law if he permitted you to stay.

You're in a potentially difficult spot. If you are in a noncompliant unit, then you probably should move. Certainly if the city finds out, you may have to move. You might be able to buy a little bit of time, but likely that's a few days or a week or two . . . not months. The landlord might be given the option by the city to bring the unit into compliance--if that's possible. But then the question is whether he's able to do so. Smoke detectors are easy. Providing a new exit . . . not so much, especially if the window measurements don't qualify as an exit.

Again, as Diane suggested, check with Legal Aid.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Kimberly Kinville answered:
Depends on the rent asked and the term you need, ie 1 year lease vs month to month.

The month to month rentals are easier to rent because of the flexability. However, in my experience your better off doing at least a 9 month lease as a compromise if the tenant can't commit to a 1 year lease.

The month to month seems to attract very short term tenants. (I've been doing this for 9 years)

If you advertise, use pictures too.

Best of luck!
Kimberly Kinville, Realtor
East Metro Specialist
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Rental Basics in Popular Cities in Multnomah County