we're empty nesters in our mid 40s moving from NJ . We're looking for diversity so can any one tell me if chapel hill is better in that

Asked by Sgirglani, North Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Tue May 28, 2013

sense or N Ral

Answers

6
Ernie Behrle, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Wed May 29, 2013
First off, welcoming more fellow yankees to the south !! LOL I really think diversity can be found just about anywhere in the Triangle, whether you base yourself out of Chapel Hill, Durham or Raleigh. It may come down to finances as typically, housing becomes less expensive on a whole as you move eastward from Chapel Hill towards Raleigh and east of there. It is not uncommon here to enjoy all of the Triangle no matter where you choose to call home . We have an excellent system of roads to get around. For example, I live on the NE side of Raleigh but if I want, can be in Chapel Hill in about 40 minutes.

If you would like to learn more about the area, check out my website at http://www.RaleighHomeSite.com . I have placed lots of links to area amenities and sites that should help you. Still, nothing is better than a survey trip so I encourage you to take the drive or flight down and get to know the area. Depending upon where you live in NJ, your drive time should be under 7 hours. I drive up to PA twice a year and Harrisburg, PA is 6 hours from where I live. If I can answer any questions for you personally, don't hesitate to conatct me using the information on my site.
Linda Morris, Agent, Cary, NC
Tue Jun 11, 2013
If you are looking for diversity, you can't do better than the Triangle. From Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Chapel Hill to Raleigh - the Triangle is very diverse. Lots of PhD's and Doctorates in the area and a large university presence will ensure that you are surrounded by intelligent people from all over the world.

You need to come out and visit our great area and see which communities are a best fit for you. I'm originally from the Raleigh area, went to Chapel Hill for school then settled in Cary. i know the area really well and would love to show you around! Just let me know the next time you are in town! Or email/call me and I will send you a welcome packet about the area!

Lindamorris@KW.com or 919-218-8973
Web Reference:  http://www.rduhomes4u.com
Nikie Filipp…, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Mon Jun 10, 2013
Chapel Hill has diversity. Chapel Hill homes are more expensive but probably more affordable than homes from up north. Welcome to the Triangle, I am sure you will like it here. There are many people from the north that live in the Triangle especially in Cary.
Please feel free contact me if you have any questions. My family and I moved from PA last year and we love it here!
Michael Colv…, Agent,
Fri May 31, 2013
My vote is for Durham. I moved here from D.C. in 2001 and find it the best of the Triangle.
If you want overcrowding and strip malls and chain stores everywhere, Raleigh will appeal to you more. If you can afford downtown Raleigh it is very nice but also very very pricey.
Michael
Sheryl Bryant, Renter, Clayton, NC
Wed May 29, 2013
Should be great levels of diversity since everyone in the Northeast, North Central and Heartland states have moved here or are moving here! Like its own melting pot. It is getting too crowded in the Triangle for me who grew up in the Raleigh area when it was a nice, smaller town. But if you're from up North, maybe you'll like that. I am a native North Carolinian and find it to be a bit crowded and congested and populated. I personally would like to move to rural Chatham County. It is absolutely beautiful, pristine and near Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Very artsy and culturally rich area. The music industry is growing at leaps and bounds so I am thrilled about that. This would likely interest you as the area is culturally rich. We are getting to experience excellents artists, bands and even Broadway shows are coming to DPAC and other venues.
Vivian Olkin, Agent, Carrboro, NC
Wed May 29, 2013
Chapel Hill has become more diverse over time. Last census put us with almost 12% Asian. I don't know what percent is African-American or Hispanic, though not very high. Durham is far more diverse in that each race has the full economic spectrum also.

I live in Chapel Hill, work the Durham area as well as Chapel Hill and find that both are convenient so that I get the advantage of both. If you want more specific info, give me a call.

It is true that housing is less expensive in Durham. Again, figure out what is important to you in a community or neighborhood and definitely drive around. This is not a particularly urban area though downtown and other pockets of areas are urban.

I lived in Boston, miss the walkability of Boston, and wouldn't move back for anything. Love the lifestyle, friendliness and ease of living.

Vivian Olkin, aka CrazyViv
Web Reference:  http://www.crazyvivhomes.com