me and my husband and our kids are moving to GA august 31 but we dont know if we want to move to lithonia or tucker GA

Asked by Cctekia, Tucker, GA Fri May 28, 2010

i have four children an 18 year son boy an 15 year daughter an 12 year old son and a 2 yr old baby girl im kind of worried about were im going to put the 3 older ones in school ive heard negative and positive things about both places but idk where to go i want to be in a quite neighborhood where the schools arent out of control with gangs and fights. the schools that ive heard about that are in lithonia are bad so ive heard but i just wanna be in a safe neighborhood that i dont have to worry about sending my kids to school im on a budget so im trying to rent for a house under a 1,000 $ a month because where i live now is very expensive wich is minnesota and i need to relocate.nowere any good schools are?

Answers

6
Solomon Gree…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Sat May 29, 2010
Cctekia,

Great question and I think that school performance is a great way to arrive at a decision on places to live. Regretfully, agents will generally not address the safety of an area because most will not have lived there. Responsibility for that and other research falls on you. The following links, however, may provide some guidance, though no guarantee is being made or even implied about its accuracy either.

High School Test Scores from the AJC
http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-crct-scores-86921.html

Crime Reports from the AJC
http://www.ajc.com/news/metro-atlanta-crime-reports-114977.html

You also mentioned affordability. The Metro Atlanta Market is quite different from Minnesota. According to my Minnesota colleagues, residents in that state did not face the wave of foreclosure activity encountered by owners in the State of Georgia. Values, and therefore prices in many areas have returned to those seen during years 2000-2004. Further, the availability of various down payment assistance programs combined with those lower prices could mean that $1,000 per month is more than enough to own a home in Metro Atlanta. Read the blog at the link below for information on how you may be able to buy your first home here. Please note that down payment assistance programs are also available in Cobb, Clayton, Douglas and other counties, but they are not covered on the blog.

I welcome the opportunity to work with you, so please call me when time permits at (678) 775-2677.

Solomon Greene
REALTOR® / HUD-Certified Affordable Housing Counselor - Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
pm.stull, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Tucker would be a much better choice for many reasons. the school system is much better and the high school just build a new school . You do not want to move to Lithonia .
Mrs Osborne, Renter, Tucker, GA
Fri Jul 20, 2012
move to tucker nice schools and very nice area.lithonia looks nice and its cheap the people are very ghetto and its very safe a lot of breakins my school attends tucker middle love it
Teresa, Home Buyer, Lithonia, GA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Tucker has much better schools and stores; I am currently in Lithonia moving out in a few weeks. Also Mountin Park has good schools as well as Sneville just put in zip 30039 in the search. If I had kids that's where I would go.
Mark Laycock, , Alpharetta, GA
Sat Jun 5, 2010
Hello Cctekia,

Welcome to Georgia! You have really good questions. After I read your question, I wanted more information myself.. I googled Tucker Crime Report and found CLRsearch.com. It had a data entry block for "compare to", so I typed in Lithonia. Wow! Their numbers were eye openers! It certainly would make you want to do more research. The local police departments may be your best resource for gang activity information.

As for the schools, a good place to start is with the Georgia Department of Education. They have their own list of award winning schools. You can then contact them to find out about enrolling, start dates, etc. You may be in for a shock because our schools here start towards the fisrt part of August, and you will need documentation to enroll your children.

After you do your own research, then you can decide on the city, schools and neighborhoods. The tough part will be finding the right home at the right price at the right time. The demand for rental homes has picked up over last year. The best homes go quickly!

Good luck! Call me if you want professional help with relocating.

Mark Laycock
Buying, Selling, Renting
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
404.843.2500

http://www.NorthMetroHomeSearch.com
Sally English, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Tue Jun 1, 2010
I am very impressed with Solomon's answer!!!!