What is the best area for a young couple (25 yrs old) to live in the San Fernando Valley/ 'theValley'?

Asked by Maggiew43, San Fernando, CA Tue Jul 26, 2011

My fiance and I are moving to the Valley area. He works in Culver City and I will work from Valencia to Fresno. We are thinking this is a good mid point. We would like a nice area with lots of restaurants and shopping. We are both 25 years old, young professionals. Any suggestions appreciated!

Answers

6
Donne Knudsen, , Simi Valley, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Maggie - Be careful with Craigslist. While Craigslist does have a lot of advertised rentals, they also have a lot of scams too. Just be very careful and look for reputable property mgt co. Contact Jessica below and she may be able to help you. Also, many Realtors and/or real estate agents can help you with rentals too.
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Craigslist has a lot of rentals listed. Trulia and Zillow both also have a rentals section. Some agents work with rentals as well, and can get a list of available rentals on the MLS with your criteria. Feel free to search the leases on my website http://richardschulman.com/property-search/search-the-mls/ Scroll down and you can choose the box on the left hand site for Residential Lease and inputting any other criteria (you can also change between map and area search by clicking the search options above the map). Good luck!
Maggiew43, Renter, San Fernando, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Thank you all for your responses. We definitely understand the location of our work is not ideal but this is the hand we were dealt so we are trying to find the best midpoint. All of your input has been most helpful. I will be in field sales, so my schedule will be flexible and he will work partially from home and have flexible commute times as well.

We would love to rent a condo. Any suggestions of websites?
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Hi Maggie,

I'm you you are each prepared for a daily commute. With that said, I recommend Studio City. Take a day to visit all of the shops and restaurants on Ventura Blvd. You have access to fantastic restaurants, boutique stores, vintage shops, bars, banks, coffee shops, etc.. It is a great area to walk around and spend the day or night hanging out.

I recommend that you spend some time in the new area you are thinking about moving into. Go there during the day and night. Also take a drive there during the hours you plan to commute.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4| Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct: (310) 828 - 3132 Fax: (310) 829 – 2079
Email: Jessica@wellmanproperties.com
Web: http://www.wellmanproperties.com
DRE #01894323
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Sherman Oaks may be a great mid point for you. It is also a nice area, with lots of restaurants and shopping. Nearby areas that are also nice, and close to shopping and restaurants include: Encino, Tarzana, Studio City. You could also consider a little further north, e.g. Northridge, as a midpoint area too. Make sure you find a chance to go explore these areas and see what you think.

Richard Schulman
Donne Knudsen, , Simi Valley, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Maggiew43 - WOW!!! That's a multi-leveled answer! LOL :)

When you say you will be working from Valencia to Fresno, does that mean you will be commuting from Valencia to Fresno? What does that mean exactly. From Valencia to Fresno is quite a commute even if you only do it once in awhile; that's about a 3hr commute - ONE WAY!!!

Even the valley to Culver City is quite a commute depending on the time of day you will be traveling. Either way, you want to probably be on the east side of the valley because that is the part of the valley that is most accessible to the 405 freeway and the 5 freeway, which are the main routes to both Culver City (the 405 freeway) and Valencia and Fresno (the 5 freeway).

The valley is a pretty large metropolis and pretty much anywhere you live you are going to be close to restaurants and shopping and entertainment. A great place for would be Toluca Lake, Studio City or Sherman Oaks. However, because these are high demand areas, they are also rather pricey and you're not going to get as much bang for your buck as far as housing space as you would say in the north valley like San Fernando or Sylmar or North Hollywood.

Where in the valley you live will be really dependent on how much you can afford and whether you rent or buy. Right now, many prospective homeowners can buy a modest home in the valley for the same or less than they would pay to rent that home. The rental market here is actually just as active as our buying market.

Without more info, it's hard to say what area you are going to be able to afford to live in. If you would like, please feel free to contact me for more info.